Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 6.1.6 required for iPhone 4

I am adding my voice to the requests to make IOS 6.1.6 available for the iPhone 4.

My wife has the iPhone 4 and we specifically made the decision not to upgrade to IOS 7 due to the many reports the the iPhone 4 hardware is not powerful enough to run IOS 7 correctly. This was fine for her until the SSL security hole was revealed.

The phone is less than two years old and she is still in contract with her provider, yet it seems that the only choices available are to cripple the phone with IOS 7, continue using it with a well known and easily exploitable security hole or trash the phone. I know it we live in a disposable society, but to render a phone virtually useless before we have even finished paying off the contract on it seems a bit extreme.

Please make the IOS 6.1.6 bug fix available for the iPhone 4.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 4:21 AM

Tell Apple at the link below.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

6 replies

Feb 27, 2014 2:10 AM in response to Woodsie351

Hi,

I agree with you, Woodsie351.

I have contacted Apple support twice with the same wish - to offer IOS 6.1.6 also for Iphone 4/ 4S and Ipod Touch 5th generation. No answer till now.

Some users claim that IOS 7 is only a new "cloth" upon the old IOS 6, that we have. At the same time I didn't upgrade my Iphone 4S, my Ipod Touch 5th gen and my Ipad 3 to IOS 7 and have stayed at the version IOS 6.1.3. Others claim that IOS 7 slow down their devices - Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. There is obviously an issue, which force very many users like me to avoid upgrading to IOS 7. I leave aside the emotional side of disliking the new IOS design.

I have also a MacBook Air 2011, so I am a real part of the Apple community with four devices. Luckiliy I ran OS Lion, which is not affected by the SSL security breach.

I don't wand to jailbreak my devices. And maybe, if I would have to opportunity to go back to IOS 6.1.3, I would have tried IOS 7. But, as you know, the update of IOS is like a "Catholic marriage" - there is no going back.

Now we are forced to choose between security, a situation, which is not our fault, and upgrade to IOS 7. I think this is unfair and I can only hope that some from Apple would listen to people like you and me.

Mar 3, 2014 4:05 AM in response to Woodsie351

I should clarify, it is not that I have a problem with IOS 7 in itself. I have IOS 7 on my iPod and am fine with it. It is just that it is well known that IOS 7 doesn't run very well on an iPhone 4.

This is like Apple has sold me a condition and then discovered that the oven has a habit of catching on fire. They then helpfully offer me a new, bigger oven to fix this problem. But the new oven will only fit if I get rid of the dishwasher. It would also be possible to just replace the thermostat to fix the problem, but Apple refuses to install the new thermostat because they want me to put the new oven in place. They then express surprise that I am not already considering buying a brand new kitchen anyway when my 1 year old kitchen is clearly old and out of date.

Mar 3, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Woodsie351

This is a funny comparison, I agree. But I have doubts that Apple would listen to us.

I was even thinking of selling my Iphone 4S and find a used one with IOS 5.0 installed on it, but with no result.

One thing is however unclear to me. I have read in a German magazine that since the majority of users will be forced to switch to IOS 7 there will only a very small minority using IOS 6.1.3 (or lower version). And for the hackers this small target group will not be of interest, so they will concetrate to hack the IOS 7 and abonden the IOS 6.1.3. Do you think that this is reasonable?

And another problem. I have installed Chrome on my Iphone 4s and since this browser uses its own SSL system the online check showed me that the browser is secure. But not the IOS 6.1.3 as such.

My question is: I don't use the Apple mail client, but I used Safari for it. I don't have a Facebook App installed, so when I browse the internet on a public WiFi network with Chrome everything should be OK, shouldn't it?

Of course I don't do online banking on the Iphone and bying apps and music on Itunes I have done at home, within my private WiFi network, which is secured.

Apr 17, 2014 1:54 AM in response to Woodsie351

Hmmmm, seems that Apple's approach of ignore us and we will go away is working. Luckily my wife doesn't really use her iPhone much, so she is not so vulnerable to this unfixed security flaw. I will continue to advise her to use her useless brick as little as possible.

You will also not believe how many relevant replies this thread received, that I received email notification about, that Apple have deleted. I guess to try and make the issue seem smaller than it actually is. 😟

Apr 17, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Woodsie351

I have not "up"graded my iPwn4s because some of my critical apps do not run on iOS7. It's unconscionable that Apple has left us hanging in this situation. Only *yesterday* did one of these apps release an iOS7 version. But not everyone has done so. Apple made money off of these sales, they owe us support, and by that I mean *critical bug fixes* so that we do not have to switch to an iOS that breaks our paid-for apps! I am NOT happy with Apple these days. Steve would have kicked some donkey around Infinity Loop, and we'd all be okay. Apple has lost its vision and customer-centric attitude. RIP Steve. RIP Good Apple.

PS: I have sent "feedback" to apple at that link. Crickets. No, less than crickets... Apple hates those who don't drink the kool aid upon demand. :-(

IOS 6.1.6 required for iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.