Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.0.4 (62) Fails to recognize iOS devices - Fall back to previous iTunes

Sometimes Apple releases an application that has a serious flaw in it like the new iTunes 11.0.4 (62) which is not recognizing iOS devices. There are over 56,000 users who have reported this in many threads on the Apple discussion support forum.

There needs to be an easy way in the MacOS (and iOS) to fall back to the previous revision of the software. Otherwise we can't trust the automatic updater which means we can use auto-update which means when new software comes out we'll wait for months to see if problems are reported before daring to upgrade which divides the Apple ecosystem and increases support loads on Apple which costs Apple's investor's money. All bad things.

I should be able to simply REVERT to the previous version of iTunes which worked perfectly fine.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPodTouchs and iPads

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 5:01 AM

3 replies

Feb 24, 2014 12:53 PM in response to pubwvj

An off the wall guess about a number of people seeing the same problem and how to fix it doesn't really help resolve the problem you or anyone else may have ran into it.

Start here -> iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X

Then give details about the steps that don't work or errors you see.

If you want to leave feedback or suggestions for Apple, you can do that here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Feb 24, 2014 12:55 PM in response to whatheck

That was not an off-the-wall guess. It was based on how many people have clicked the "I have this question too" on similar threads.

The suggestion you make doesn't work.

I did post feedback to Apple.

I did fix the problem by deleting 11.0.4 (62), reinstalling 10.7, deleting that and reinstalling 11.0.4 (62) which did solve the problem and I have posted that solution.

Apple needs to have a built into the OS solution to fix these sorts of problems.

You're not being helpful so I won't click the button for you.

May 6, 2014 7:18 AM in response to pubwvj

This seems to have fixed the issue: on your desktop, hold down the [OPT] key and click on "Go" in the menu bar; holding down the [OPT] click on Library, find Preferences, and then delete all the files that start with "com.apple.itunes.XXXX.plist" where the "XXX" is whatever other things may exist - as long as they end in "plist". From my experience, preference files are rebuilt by the system after the next restart, so you have very little worry of losing any important data; the worst that could happen )and NOT in this instance, but for other plist files) is that you may have to reset the application "preferences" again when you next start it up, to act or appear in a "preferred" customized way for you.

Once you delete the .plist files, empty the Trash, and either log out or restart the computer. Once you're back up and operational, start iTunes and your iDevices should reappear in the sidebar (if that's open) and/or at the top of the screen (if that view is enabled).

Hope that helps. It definitely fixed my problem!

iTunes 11.0.4 (62) Fails to recognize iOS devices - Fall back to previous iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.