Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade 9.5.1 lost files and won't edit

I'm somewhat new to Mac only having my Macbook pro for 2 years. I recently upgraded to iPhoto 9.5.1 which lost some of my files and now I can't edit anything, even new photos I download. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 8:09 AM

11 replies

Feb 24, 2014 10:57 PM in response to 8momofmany8

If rebuilding (and repairing permissions) does not help, check your preferences.

I can download pictures but every time I push the edit button, nothing happens. The edit button slightly flashes but it never goes to the edit mode.

Do you have a single photo selected, when you try to edit? You first need to select a photo, the press edit.

How are your settings in the iPhoto Preferences > "Advanced" for "Edit Photos in"? Is it set to "In iPhoto" or to an external editor?

User uploaded file

Change the Editor "Iphoto", if it is pointing to an external editor. It may be pointing to an incompatible application.

If changing the preference does not let you edit, I'd remove the iPhoto preferences, since menu items are missing.

1. Quit iPhoto
  2. Delete the preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist from your
    User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.
  3. Delete the contents the containers folder:User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto
  4. Restart the system and launch iPhoto again.

Your user library may still behidden; to reveal it, select the "Home" folder icon (the little house) in the Finder's sidebar and press the key combination ⌘J to open the "view options". Enable "Show Library Folder.

User uploaded file

This way you can access the "Library" from the Home folder.

Feb 24, 2014 11:35 PM in response to 8momofmany8

There are several types of "Library":

• Your photos are stored in the iPhoto Library - that is a package of files and databases and stores your original photos, edited versions, and metadata like faces and places.
  • The operating system has several libraries were the prefrence setting, extensions to the operating system, caches, log files are stored.
    • For each user a user library - that is the hidden folder I have been describing. Usually you need not to mess around in it, only if files inside got corrupted and the system cannot read or update them.
    • The system wide installation library directly on your HD. This is were additionally installed software will keep its data.
    • And a private system library, that only MacOS X should access and modify.

To find your missing photos, tell us please in what way they are missing and what you did, before they vanished. Do you see black thumbnails? exclamation points instead of images? Or have they vanished completely?

When you rebuild your library, as Larry recommended, did that create a new event or album "recovered photos"?

upgrade 9.5.1 lost files and won't edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.