Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac can't open Garageband songs imported from iPad/iPhone

Hello,

For a year and a half I have been sucessfully importing Garageband files from both iPhone and iPad mini into GB on my Macbook Pro....until late last year when GB on my Macbook suddenly decided the application was not the latest version, and would not open imported songs. The dialogue box says 'This song requires a newer version of Garaband. Please update to the latest version...' Trouble is my Mac says that GB is the most up to date version, well it says there are no updates available for GB. Why would this happen all of a sudden? Any thoughts on why and, more importantly, how to fix!

My Mac is running 10.7.5 (GB - 6.0.5)

My iPad is running 7.0.4

My iPhone is running 6.1.3

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 9:44 AM

4 replies

Feb 24, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Steve Karn

To open GarageBand 2.0 projects from iOS 7.0.4 you need to upgrade to GarageBand 10.0. on your Mac.

Bt that will only be possible, if you first update your operating system to MacOS X 10.9.1 Mavericks. Then you can install GarageBand 10.0. - it is free for Mavericks users.

But before you consider upgrading your MacOS X, check, if you will have any incompatibilities with drivers for audio interfaces, with audio units you need, and with VST plug-ins. (see: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins)

If you decide to upgrade, make a full backup of your system, so you can revert to the previous version if need be. Also, on no account delete GarageBand '11 after updating. You may need to use both versions, since GarageBand 10.0 will bring nice, new features like drummers and arpeggiators, but does not support all features, that GarageBand 6.0.5 had.

-- Léonie

My Mac can't open Garageband songs imported from iPad/iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.