Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent grey screen on startup.

I own a late 2011 MacBook Pro running osx mavericks. Had it for two years with no problems. In early January of this year the macbook would crash whenever I opened photoshop or other programs like iMovie or photobooth. The only way to get it to function again was to hard restart the laptop. And Even then sometimes I would get the grey screen on start up and hear three beeps. I Went to the Genius Bar and the employee reseated the RAM and the laptop functioned well for a week. When the persistent grey screen appeared again, the genius employee erased all my storage, with my permission, reset my operation system completely. Even still I get the grey screen and the laptop doesn't make it to the login. What should I do to fix it? Would buy info new ram solve the problem? If tried pessimg shift and running in safe mode but I just get a blue screen and am forced to hard reset.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 10:05 AM

5 replies

Feb 24, 2014 10:10 AM in response to Shallah

The repeating 3 beeps is a RAM/Memory problem. So it seems that you have either bad RAM or the sockets they go into are failing.

Bad part is if it is the sockets the only way to fix that is to replace the logic board. Which is expensive.

You could try new RAM (if you do buy it from Crucial.com) but if that doesn't fix the problem then it is the RAM sockets that have gone bad.

May 5, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Shallah

Hi there friends

I don't have apple help in my city

I'm using MBP as desktop removed battery due to batter sensors issue.

It is late 2011.

It started with no startup tone chime than I set nvram so startup tone came but the persisting issue is grey bar at the startup blow apple logo that takes 20 min almost and after completion MBP turns off and requires manual turn on and upon re turning on again that grey bat appears same fasion.

Some one told me to go to safe mode and apply some changes but I can't go to safe mode with shift key startup login Id password bar appears and constant shift key press interrupts and again grey bat appears.

I don't know how to disable startup password and how to disable vault.

Please help me in

How to get into safe mode

How to get rid of grey bar on startup

My discs are working well I checked in recovery.

Please help me even I don't have disc

And if you could help me in how to open a USB net modem.with the MBP having same issues as with mine

Thanks

Persistent grey screen on startup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.