Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Sync or Backup iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4 with iTunes 11.1.4

Hi everyone,

Like countless others, I've been having some serious battery drain issues on my iPhone 5 since I upgraded to iOS 7.0.4 several weeks ago. A comment on this thread made me hopeful that the latest update to iOS, i.e. 7.0.6 would at least partly tackle the issue.

I usually perform a full backup of my iPhone to my PC, so as is good practice, I figured I'd perform a back up of the current settings, apps and data before updating the iOS.

Well, that was about 24 hours ago. I am still unable to sync or back up my iPhone 5 on iOS 7.0.4 connected via USB cable to a Windows 7 (64 bit) machine running iTunes 11.1.4. Each time I try, the progress bar in iTunes gets stuck at "Transferring Purchases".

The only thing that has changed since my last successful sync and backup is the version of iTunes, to 11.1.4.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Among what I've tried to get this to work are:

1. Uninstalling iTunes and related components from the Control Panel (exactly as suggested in the official Apple help article at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1925) and re-installing the latest version of iTunes with the default settings.

2. Performing step 1 above and installing directly under 'C:\'iTunes and not under 'C:\ProgramFiles\iTunes'

3. Trying to 'Not backup apps' while performing a full backup to PC

4. Trying 3 different original Apple lightning cables

Other relevant info:

1. I do use iCloud backup for a subset of my docs/settings, and have saved the most important items for me (i.e. Camera Roll photos) via Windows Explorer.

2. I could not care and try to directly update the iOS via Settings -> General -> Software Update, but that gets stuck at 'Checking for Update' for several minutes each time I try, so the only option appears to be to update iOS via iTunes (connected via USB).

3.. I'm not too keen on trying to update without first getting the sync to work. The last time I tried to update iOS this way (for 7.0.4) my iPhone died mid-way through the update despite being fully charged and connected to a power source (i.e. the PC). That experience doesn't inspire much confidence for this task.

4 .I don't have an executable for the previous iOS7-compatible version of iTunes, and it doesn't look like I can get one that's > 11.1 but < 11.1.4 from http://support.apple.com/downloads/#itunes, so I'm likely stuck with the latest iTunes.

5. I always 'manually manage music/files, so that's set to manual

6. I never auto sync, so that's disabled

7. I've never encountered this issue in now 9 years of using iTunes and Apple products.

8. I am U.S. - based, purchased this phone in the U.S., and use a U.S. - based carrier.

Another Issue I've had since updating to iOS 7.0.4 is that iBooks simply doesn't work for me on iPhone 5 anymore, but I've stopped caring since I'm more of a Kindle person anyway.

I can't believe I'm having all these issues with some very basic functions. I'm in the market for a smaller tablet now, and there is little doubt in my mind now that this whole experience has at least opened me to the idea of buying a Google product. But that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

To summarize.. all my problems with iPhone 5 started when I upgraded iOS to 7.0.4, and now I can't sync nor backup before I try to upgrade to the latest iOS version.

Any help would be much appreciated! Remember, I can't directly upgrade on my iPhone due to #2 under 'Other Relevant Info' above, otherwise I'd take the risk of losing my saved app data.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 12:28 PM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2014 10:25 PM in response to AppleCustomer_

My iPhone 5 wouldn't start after I turned it off a few minutes after writing this. It went into recovery mode and I had no choice but to connect to iTunes on PC and restore.

I restored to factory setting first, just to validate my phone was okay. For a second consecutive iOS update, the iPhone 5 did not update smoothly while connected to PC and iTunes - I had to retry two times before the progress bar for the update showed. (The exact same problem with the restart occured when I updated to 7.0.4.)

The good news is that I was ultimately able to restore the iPhone 5 to factory settings while running iOS 7.0.6. I did have a backup from about a month ago lying around and was able to successfully restore with that as well, so the damage done is almost negligible since I had my contacts, notes, mail, etc. backed up to iCloud.

Once I completed both restores, the sync with iTunes worked fine.

Feb 26, 2014 10:26 PM in response to AppleCustomer_

As I write this, I see an update to iTunes come through in the form of iTunes 11.1.5

Release notes say: "This update resolves an issue with typing Japanese text in the iTunes Store and fixes a problem that may cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected."

This may have been it all along. 😮

Lesson learned: Do not update iTunes within the first month of its release, unless forced to do so. Oh well.

For anyone who has a similar problem as I did, try updating iTunes right away.

Cannot Sync or Backup iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4 with iTunes 11.1.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.