Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture FLIPPED MY ENTIRE LIBRARY SIDEWAYS(56,000) 3.5.1

All my importing from old libraries were completed weeks ago. I use multiple cameras.

Then wah-la one day all pics are sideways!

To make matters worse, I Selected all, clicked flip counter-clockwise. Well 56k pictures do not just flip on the click. it was going to take days, So cancelled the command. Now only most of my library is drunk

Aperture needs to get updated or be a free app. very dissappointed in the program. prior to this fisco, it crashed often.

Mac Pro's, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 12:28 PM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2014 1:02 PM in response to War Eagle 77

Crashing often is a symptom that should not be overlooked.

Back up your Library (if you haven't already) and run first "Repair" and then, if the crashes continue, "Rebuild".

Instructions are on the Apple Aperture trouble-shooting page.

If you wish help in trouble-shooting your crashed, describe what causes them. Include your current OS X and Aperture version numbers.

Suggestions about upgrades and pricing should be made directly to Apple via "Aperture➞Provide Aperture Feedback". We are just users here.

Feb 24, 2014 1:47 PM in response to War Eagle 77

Perhaps it is a simple case of wrong thumbnails after the update:

Try to rebuild the thumbnails first, (Photos > Generate Thumbnails), and if your originals are raw, I'd try to reprocess the raw as well, before you rebuild. There have been some cases, were after the 3.5.1 upgrade in connection with a new raw support, the thumbnalls needed fixing.

Feb 25, 2014 2:10 PM in response to War Eagle 77

Can you remember anything you did, were doing, or changed prior to the Images being wrongly oriented?

Are you seeing any erratic behavior in any other programs?

Is this just the Images in the Browser, or in the Viewer as well?

And confirming: it happened to _every single Image_ in your Library? No distinction based on the file format of the original, or anything else?

And also confirming: after using all three of these commands in the Photos menu: Reprocess Originals, Generate Thumbnails, and Generate Previews (hold down {"Option"} for this last one), your Images remain wrongly oriented?

Rebuilding a Library of 56,000 Images takes less than 8 hours, IME. Execute the command at the end of your workday.

Feb 26, 2014 5:52 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby-

Thank you for the follow-up very much!

I cant trace any pattern of things different I was doing prior. My library was begining to take shape after having most of my pictures in Lightroom and iphoto. There are autoimatic syncs set-up to flickr and Smugmug. However, When this happened I wake the machine from sleep, open Aperture and they are all flipped. So, I never saw the action underway. I wasnt excuting any commands prior. Really strange...

I have many different cameras that make the library so I cant say this all happened on a Cannon XX or Nikon XX

LATEST ACTIONS:

1. Repair Database

2.Generate Thumbnails

3. Rebuild Database/Library

Result- Nothing

***I HAVE NOT TRIED REPROCESS ORIGINALS OR GENERATE PREVIEWS****

So,I am back to my original solution, Select all and then flip the pictures.

The problem is this does not solve whatever root problem casued this, which does not give me piece of mind after making some big changes in my opeartion: New To Aperture from LR, and a new MBP. Its taken a lot of time to shift and I cant afford a repeat....

Feb 26, 2014 6:02 AM in response to léonie

I wish that it were just my portarit style...Its all of them.

Whats even more odd is that you slect "faces" The page that those has the faces on the little bulletin board are also sideways.

Additionally I did an import of a few pictures just to see how it would respond and those are all correct, right side up.)

I will try to repocess a few and see.

Aperture FLIPPED MY ENTIRE LIBRARY SIDEWAYS(56,000) 3.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.