Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a PowerBook G4 Ti be booted from it's original Software Install and Restore DVD mounted in a MacBook Pro (osX 10.9.1) optical drive using Firewire?

I'm trying to resurrect my old PowerBook G4 (DVI) 15" Ti . The PowerBook's HD is corrupted and needs to have the system reinstalled. The PowerBook will not boot from it's own optical drive. (It attempts to read the Restore disk but the ejects it. Likewise for the original Apple Hardware Test PowerBook G4 disk and retail 10.4 and 10.5 disks.) I've replaced the PRAM battery and reset the PMU. This did not help. I've removed the optical drive and cleaned the lens with isopropanol. That did not help either. The PowerBook will start up and search for it's system software. It will also start up in Firewire target mode. The battery charges and indicates 100% by the battery test button, 4 green LEDs.

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.9.1 but am reluctant to insert the PowerBook's Restore disc without some assurance that the PowerBook can boot in target mode from the MacBook Pro's optical drive and the MacBook Pro will not be corrupted too.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.2.x) , or OS X 10.4.3 or 10.5.6 retail dis

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 4:51 AM

This much I can tell you, the Target machine is pretty much a super expensive external drive.

If you set the MacBook Pro in Target mode with the 'T' key on the MacBook Pro, and then connect that to your Powerbook, it will essentially become a working optical drive for the Powerbook. Be sure to have the proper Firewire cable to connect the two machines. http://www.macsales.com/ offers 6 pin to 9 pin Firewire cables if your MacBook Pro only has Firewire 800.

1. T key on MacBook Pro. Wait for Firewire logo on it.

2. Insert the disk in the MacBook Pro.

3. Boot with the Option key on the Powerbook until the Startup Manager appears.

4. Connect the Powerbook to the MacBook Pro.

5. Refresh with the curly icon on the Powerbook screen.

6. The optical disk on the MacBook Pro should now appear on the Powerbook screen. Select it.

7. Select the arrow button on the Powerbook to continue booting from it.

If it is a Mac OS X installer, you should be able to run the Disk Utility from the installer's menu to repair the disk if the hard disk on the Powerbook is at all in working order. If not, you may need to get an older version of Alsoft Disk Warrior for PowerPC Macs to do so. And if that doesn't work, get a new hard drive from http://www.macsales.com/ for the Powerbook. 2.5 Parallel ATA 9.5mm hard drives that are compatible with Powerbooks is what you need to ask for.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 4:51 AM in response to phils2um

This much I can tell you, the Target machine is pretty much a super expensive external drive.

If you set the MacBook Pro in Target mode with the 'T' key on the MacBook Pro, and then connect that to your Powerbook, it will essentially become a working optical drive for the Powerbook. Be sure to have the proper Firewire cable to connect the two machines. http://www.macsales.com/ offers 6 pin to 9 pin Firewire cables if your MacBook Pro only has Firewire 800.

1. T key on MacBook Pro. Wait for Firewire logo on it.

2. Insert the disk in the MacBook Pro.

3. Boot with the Option key on the Powerbook until the Startup Manager appears.

4. Connect the Powerbook to the MacBook Pro.

5. Refresh with the curly icon on the Powerbook screen.

6. The optical disk on the MacBook Pro should now appear on the Powerbook screen. Select it.

7. Select the arrow button on the Powerbook to continue booting from it.

If it is a Mac OS X installer, you should be able to run the Disk Utility from the installer's menu to repair the disk if the hard disk on the Powerbook is at all in working order. If not, you may need to get an older version of Alsoft Disk Warrior for PowerPC Macs to do so. And if that doesn't work, get a new hard drive from http://www.macsales.com/ for the Powerbook. 2.5 Parallel ATA 9.5mm hard drives that are compatible with Powerbooks is what you need to ask for.

Mar 10, 2014 9:36 AM in response to phils2um

I replaced the hard drive and using a brody's directions was able to reload the system. The PowerBook G4 is now functioning again! Once it was back on-line, it took quite a while stepping up from the original OS X10.2 through 10.4 to 10.5 with all the associated software updates. But, it's running as well as it ever did. I had forgotten what a nice laptop it was! I think I should have sprung the extra $60 bucks to put in a SSD now!

Can a PowerBook G4 Ti be booted from it's original Software Install and Restore DVD mounted in a MacBook Pro (osX 10.9.1) optical drive using Firewire?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.