Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Lacie Hard Drive is no longer being recognized by my MacBook, please help.

Hi all,

I have a Lacie external hard drive (LaCie Rugged XL eSATA 3Gb/s | USB 2.0) that I have been using on my MacBook (timemachine) (late 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X 10.9.1). One day it stopped being recognized, not showing up on the desk top, the disk utility program, etc.

I Googled many articles, blogs and support communities but have yet to find any solution. I also went to the Lacie support site and followed the trouble shooting instructions - changed my power source, usb cable, and tried the drive out on 3 different computers. The results: The drive works fine on the other computers (OS X and Windows) using the same power and usb cords. So Lacie recommened I contact Apple but my MacBook is not under warranty so I have decided to try my luck with the Apple Support Community. If any one has had this problem or knows the solution, please let me know. I would like to continue to use my MacBook with this Lacie hard drive.

Thanks

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 12:49 PM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Dibenkorn

Hi Dibenkorn,

Yes, both USB ports are not recognizing this lacie external hard drive. I also tried the SMC reset but that did not change anything. I have another external hard drive (smaller one) and it works on this computer fine and like I said before the Lacie works fine on my other (older) MacBook. I just can not figure out what went wrong or what happened... 😕

My Lacie Hard Drive is no longer being recognized by my MacBook, please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.