Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Sidebar favourites disappearing

MacBook Pro 13inch Retina bought this month with 16gb ram, 512gb SSD, i5 2.6GHz.

My sidebar in finder has suddenly be removing faovurites, most of these were favourites from a network link.

We are using smb as a network connection to a fileserver due to afp causing issues with file permissions and "error -43".

Is anyone else having this issue, can it be fixed?

Not to toot my own horn but I've done the usual safe boot, hardware test, PRAM, perms, disk repair, recreating of plists.

Please help my Senior staff are pounding at me after rolling out Mavericks following a successful 3 month test.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 2:05 PM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2014 3:20 PM in response to HA IT

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info in Finder (or just Show Info)

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open.

• Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?
  • In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?
  • What is the Modified date?
If you don't have read and write access to the item, change the settings as directed here. Note, however, that if one file has wrong access settings, most likely others do as well. If the item is locked, unlock it.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Apr 24, 2014 11:42 AM in response to HA IT

I'm seeing this behavior on any mavericks box that alternates between afp and smb connections to the same server. Links made over afp are uncerimoniously deleted when an smb connection to the server is the only active connection.

Unfortunately it is inconsistent making it difficult to troubleshoot.

Try to have your mavericks users make only smb connections and this behaviour won't occur. Or disable afp on the server and just offer smb.

Apr 26, 2014 7:08 AM in response to paulskinner

Why would I want to disable AFP on the server if it's the more compatible protocol for OSX? it looks to me like a bug in the OS as it didn't use to happen with 10.8 and 10.7. I'm running the IT for a small company of 50 macs and until Mavericks there were no issues with Finder and the sidebar favorites regardless of AFP or SMB connections. I have different servers running in the back, most AFP, some SMB and it doesn't make sense to me to have to disable an entire company's protocol because of a small bug in the OS that only slightly reduces productivity. Apple should take this seriously as it's a very fundamental component of the UI that they are so proud of.

Mavericks Sidebar favourites disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.