Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6.1.6 update destroyed battery life

hi i have a 3gs.

i updated to 6.1.6 yesterday because of the SSL fix.

since updating my phone battery life has gone kaput. i used to be able to go 1-2 days without needing to charge especially if i wasn't using it much.

last night it ran out of battery power overnight despite being unused. i started charging it this morning, then took it with me while i was away from the computer and it went from 50% to almost 5% in just in an hour and a half at lunch, also completely unused during this time.

i already checked my settings for the usual suspects - no push emails, wifi searching and wifi off, 3g off, location services mostly off, no apps running in the background, the settings seem basically the same as i used before..

any ideas what else i can do? it is basically unusable now, i need to be able to have it on standby for more than an hour or two at least! this only started happening after the update, it was fine on friday and saturday for example..

cheers

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 3:57 PM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2014 3:12 AM in response to spesimen

I have the exact same problem, phone used to last a day with normal usage. now no more than 3 hours. I tried to roll back the update, but unfortunately itunes had already created a back up with 6.1.6. this is rediculous..

Amishcake, your solution does not work.. battery dropped 4% in 1 minute after the reset.

I hope they issue a fix for it soon. otherwise its just a cheap way to encourage hardware sales!

Feb 27, 2014 9:07 AM in response to spesimen

Update:

Short version:

Battery problems seems to be solved when the phone is restored to the update 6.1.6 but is then set up as a new iphone rather than recovered from the saved backup.

Long version:

After several trials and attempts to restore on the earlier version, toying with jailbreak, that did not work. Even the restore from itunes itself got jammed and I had to restart everything for it to work. I ended up having to restore the iphone to 6.1.6 again, but this time I chose to set it up as a new iphone. I put the bare minimum of my apps and music etc on, so that the phone as lots of free space to use (I have some 10G free).

After the restore completed and the phone synced, the battery drain seems to have stopped. It used to be 2-3% for each min the phone is on. It has stopped altogether, the phone has been off the charger now for 2 hours and with talk/music/vibrate quite heavily used and the batter is still at 100%!

WIll update again after a longer test period. But it will not hurt ot try this solution. Setting up the phone anew maybe somewhat longer but not too painful as the battery drain

Feb 27, 2014 9:18 AM in response to spesimen

I've read on a news post in my Xite newsreader that users have solved this rapid battery drain problem by quitting all apps followed by a reset of the phone.

Double click the Home button to show the screen with running and recently used apps. Each app icon will have a sample page above it. Flick up on each page (not the app icon) and the page will fly away and the app icon will disappear. This quits that app. Do this for all apps that pear there.

Then reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

Feb 28, 2014 1:20 AM in response to ramfrmcairo

thank you for the replies so far.

removing the runnign apps and re-setting definitely doesn't work. (the phone has been reset several times already, due to running out of power after an hour or two)...

ramfrmcairo, i will try next your idea of setting it up as a new phone. i did do mine from a restore. i don't really care about the stuff on there except my contacts list so i will have to look into how to keep and import that onto a completely erased setup

cheers

-andy crosby

Feb 28, 2014 11:47 AM in response to spesimen

Hey Andy,

Just an update, battery holding up pretty well so far, so by far seems to me this method of setting up as a new phone is potentially the cure.

Re- your contacts if you setup as new iphone, if you are using icloud, your contacts will all be restored automatically once you log in with your apple ID on the phone after restoring, so will some data for apps which you might have allowed to backup to the cloud.

In my case data loss included: old sms's, some personalized texting words that will have to be relearned by the phone dictionary, nothing to worry about really, given the unusability of the phone with the battery issue.

Other than that, nothing else was lost, since I have my contacts and my photos synced via icloud.

If you do not have icloud activated, it is pretty simple, activate icould before you do the setup as new iphone. It will save your contacts and if you have some apps that have that feature (e.g. whatsapp, which can recover all chat history from the cloud, if activated)

So just activate icloud, look into the apps you care about and see if you can back up. I think maybe you can even back up sms's but I am not sure.

Only then set it up as a new phone. this might minimize data loss significantly.

Jan 28, 2015 4:11 AM in response to spesimen

My iPhone 3GS has the same problems described above: on wifi mode i can use battery till it's completely finished (2%), but if i try to call, send messages or use EDGE/3G network the phone turns off with battery at 25% or more ... With 6.1.3 these things didn't happen, I think that Apple should release another update or let us be able to downgrade to 6.1.3, keep signing that version.

I think that if neither of these solutions are considered users should think not to buy apple phones any more.

Feb 2, 2015 7:04 AM in response to ChoMaNN

I found the same problem of ChoMaNN:

when my phone reaches about 30% of battery turns off (apparently), if I press the power button it seems to boot with apple logo but after one-two minutes the screen becomes black again, so I have made this experiment: when the iPhone turned off with a lot of battery i tried to call it with another phone and i heard it RINGING (not the iphone, obviously, but from the phone i was calling from), so it is NOT a hardware problem but a SOFTWARE BUG! i think apple developer should fix it immediately!

6.1.6 update destroyed battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.