Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 kernal panics

I've been perusing some of the posts on the panics. Has anyoen heard of solutions from Apple?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMovie 11.

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 9:02 PM

7 replies

Oct 26, 2014 10:53 AM in response to Dutchboy777

I have had this problem for over 2 years, with the original RAM in the machine and then with replacement RAM from Crucial. This issue has now gotten worse under Yosemite, panics are several times per day.

I really do think that after all this time a class action lawsuit is the only thing that will get Apple's attention on this. My iMac is virtually useless.

Dec 2, 2015 6:54 AM in response to shuntera

I really hate to revive a dead horse... BUT. After having my Early 2009 iMac 24" with the GT 130 sitting in the closet for quite a few months, I finally decided yesterday to tinker with it. I remember all the video issues started back around 10.6.8/10.7... And when I put it away in the closet, it was running Yosemite. I couldn't even watch YouTube for 5 minutes without the computer shutting off after the fans went full jet speeds! So yesterday I tore the entire iMac apart, cleaned the fans, used compressed air to clean out the radiator/heatsink fins and used that compressed air around all the nooks and crannies inside. (I was going to attempt to reapply the thermal paste but I just didn't have the guts!

Any who, after cleaning it all out, and reassembling it, I used my El Capitan USB to fully format and install OS X 10.11.1...

Got all set up to the desktop, no problem, no shutting off, no full speed fans...

Finally got Adobe Flash all updated and decided to let it sit on a 1080p YouTube video, fullscreen.

It was an hour long video and the fans never went full blast and the GPU temp never went above 50 celsius...

I'm not sure if it was all the dust/hair/dirt clogging the fins on the heatsink or the fact that El Capitan is better equipped for this video card... But I can't believe I was so close to throwing out my beloved iMac!

Whether or not this will fix it for 1 day or 2 years... We shall see.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 kernal panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.