Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4, my notes disappeared. How/where can I retrieve them?

I upgrade the phone software whenever a new release comes out. I use the iTunes Store and have backed up ohone to my computer (laptop) although I do not know where the backup goes/is stored, or how to retrieve it. Just went looking for some notes I had pages and pages of... they are all gone! I did not delete them and have a lot of storage space on the phone. I cannot find a way to retrieve them, if they even were backed up at all, I have no idea. I never expected them to just disappear. Help please!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 11:57 PM

7 replies

Feb 25, 2014 12:50 AM in response to kurt278

That's your account? Ok, now, open the Settings app on your iPhone, Scroll down until you see "Mails, Contacts and Calendars" with a mail icon next to it. Inside that section, you will see a button labeled "add account" press it then choose Gmail, then, enter your gmail and password and login. After logging in, open your notes app and see if it's back.. Reply to me if you need more help.

Feb 25, 2014 1:25 AM in response to skyraptor

Well before I got your reply, I turned off iCloud, rechecked the Back up to this computer setting in iTunes and did a restore from there. Now some of my Notes have returned, but not the one I am looking for.

I never used iCloud before, but I switched to iCloud for a try sometime between when I created this note I want back and when I just used the Restore from my computer. In other words I think I made the important note, then switched to iCloud for backups but did not activate Notes in those settings, now that I noticed all my notes are gone... I cannot figure out where to find the important one that disappeared and I think it is due to switching from computer backup to iCloud backup without Notes selected there.

It has to still exist somewhere right, why would the cloud erase my Notes just because I do not have them selected for backup there?

Why would iTunes erase my notes at all, even if I did an OS upgrade?

Frustrated...

But from your suggestion, I already have Gmail activated on the phone and regularly get emails on the phone or the laptop, does not matter where I am I am always signed in and they sync.

My sidebar on Gmail used to have some imap addresses and since I did not know what they were used for I think I deleted them off the list and do not know how to make them re-display through gmail settings. Could they have my notes backup in there on gmail?

Thank you if you know these answers and sorry to be such a dummy!

User uploaded file

Feb 25, 2014 2:24 AM in response to skyraptor

Well my mail on iPhone settings has my gmail and my work account. I am always 'logged' in and regularly plug my iPhone into the laptop and watch it Sync. Both before and after my last manual backup to computer and switching to try the iCloud, I was under the impression that each Sync saved data I entered into the iPhone (like the note I want back), whether or not I did a manual backup. Like I said earlier I did retieve all my notes that existed prior to the important one I want (of course!), but then all I did was switch to the Cloud for back up but in those settings I left Notes Off for back up.... still I did not order my Notes to be deleted off of the phone... so where the heck are they? (the ones I made between the last manual backup and the Could switch?)

They have to be somewhere, either on the computer... which I am starting to doubt, or if I am linked to gmail they should be there somewhere, but my Chrome settings do not show any way to 'restore anything apple"....

I am totally confused and frustrated, but I sure appreciate your trying to help.

🙂

Feb 25, 2014 2:40 AM in response to kurt278

Your notes were probably deleted because you turned off notes in iCloud. I can assure you on that because it also happened to me. That's why i saved my notes in Gmail by enabling notes in Gmail in the settings.. Although, your notes are saved on the backup you made because iTunes backs up all data, yes, all of the data on your iPhone, you could try restoring from the last manual backup you made. In other words, you didn't enable notes in iCloud, it was probably deleted, but was saved on the backup you made on the computer.. Try restoring from that backup you made. I'm sorry if i'm confusing you.. Good luck..

iphone 4, my notes disappeared. How/where can I retrieve them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.