5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 4:46 AM by Victoria Herring
Victoria Herring Level 2 (290 points)

I have a mid 2010 MBP 17" laptop and will be going overseas to Europe [Italy specifically].  According to the tech specs on the MBP it says =-


Battery and power7

  • Built-in 95-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
  • 85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
  • MagSafe power port

Electrical and operating requirements

  • Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
  • Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz


I want to be sure I am protected from power surges - what do I need to do that?  I gather that the line voltage information means that the power current in Europe [which is, I think, 220/240] will work fine with my MBP.  So do I need a converter at all or just an adapter plug [remembering that the cable has a 3prong grounded plug] and perhaps a surge protector.


Thanks for any guidance.  I mainly need to protect the MBP from electrical surges and damage.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)
  • moto-moto Level 1 (65 points)

    An adapter plug is all you need (or just the small piece that slips off the adapter), the European model uses exactly the same power adapter as you have, it runs fine on 110V or 240V

  • Victoria Herring Level 2 (290 points)

    Thanks for the quick response == a follow up tho, what about surge protection?  And the cable with the laptop is a 3 prong one and I assume I need an adapter that fits the 3 prong then plugs with the two plugs into the regular wall outlet?

  • moto-moto Level 1 (65 points)

    One thing I will mention, the only time you might encounter problems is during a heavy local thunder storm, here in France it is considered prudent to unplug everything electrical even if you do have an additional inline power surge protector (which most people don't use) - if you are really concerned you can buy a specific wall plug adapter with inbuilt storm protection, but during a storm I'd suggest you don't rely on this - unplugging will give you peace of mind. Bon voyage

  • moto-moto Level 1 (65 points)

    The 3 prong plug is desinged to fit earthed (grounded) sockets, but your adapter doesn't use the earth (it is just to fit the socket better), so a 2 pronged adapter will be fine.

  • Victoria Herring Level 2 (290 points)

    Thanks much!!  I will be sure to unplug - peace of mind is important!  I forget to do so because I have all sorts of surge protectors here and can get things taken care of if need be, but not while traveling [or at least not easily] = Thanks.