Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MDM apps in folders with Configurator restore

I am wondering if anyone has pushed iPad apps with an MDM and tried to put them in folders on the iPads? I have a master iPad setup with all of the apps pushed from our MDM(Casper) in folders. I backed that up in supervision mode in Configurator and restored that backup to the rest of the iPads. Then I pushed out the apps to the iPads using Casper and they didn't go into folders. I tried it the other way around where I pushed the apps and then restored the backup and it creates the folders but doesn't install all of the apps or stalls out on them. Has anyone been successful with this? Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:57 AM

Hi Jon,

I use Casper too and I have not been successful in getting apps into folders when installing apps via MDM. When I first started using Casper, I tried the same thing you did (master iPad with apps that were installed from Casper, run Supervsied backup, restore backup to new iPads, try installing apps from Casper) and had the same results you did. From everyone I've talked to, its seems that the only way to maintain folders with apps is with Configurator and with iTunes (using Configurator backups and iTunes backups respectively). My testing has found this to be true.

I've since separated from the thought of using folders on our iPads in our school district. We now teach the kids to use the iPad's Search feature to find apps. This also teaches the kids that Search can find so much more than just apps. So while folders are nice to keep apps organized, teaching the kids about Search can be more helpful in the long run. Also, folders can get altered by the kids once you give them the iPads. Using Search they can find the app even if they inadvertently moved the app out of the folder. Teaching Search has been a good thing for us 🙂

Hope this helps!!

~Joe

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 7:57 AM in response to jon.kruse

Hi Jon,

I use Casper too and I have not been successful in getting apps into folders when installing apps via MDM. When I first started using Casper, I tried the same thing you did (master iPad with apps that were installed from Casper, run Supervsied backup, restore backup to new iPads, try installing apps from Casper) and had the same results you did. From everyone I've talked to, its seems that the only way to maintain folders with apps is with Configurator and with iTunes (using Configurator backups and iTunes backups respectively). My testing has found this to be true.

I've since separated from the thought of using folders on our iPads in our school district. We now teach the kids to use the iPad's Search feature to find apps. This also teaches the kids that Search can find so much more than just apps. So while folders are nice to keep apps organized, teaching the kids about Search can be more helpful in the long run. Also, folders can get altered by the kids once you give them the iPads. Using Search they can find the app even if they inadvertently moved the app out of the folder. Teaching Search has been a good thing for us 🙂

Hope this helps!!

~Joe

MDM apps in folders with Configurator restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.