Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can we NOT backup Camera Roll to iCloud Backup?

Since my first iPhone I always backed up to my computer. I am testing iCloud backup which I like in theory because I won't forget to backup or allow too much time to elapse.

I have 4.7 GB available, but since turning on iCloud backup, I get messages that I don't have enough space.

In checking my list of things for next backup, I have over 4 GB of pix which is the culprit.

I "REALLY" don't want to waste any disk space backing up pix to iCloud. I don't take important enough pix. And what I do take and need, I rather backup via iTunes to my computer.

QUESTIONS:

1. What does Settings > iCloud > Photos - on or off do? Since iCloud apparently backs up your camera roll no matter what? Or is there a way to have pix in your camera roll and not have iCloud back them up?

2. Can I manage what iCloud backs up and delete things that iCloud has backed up or are they there forever. If so, I need to think about whether to use iCloud.

PS: I learned from AppleCare that PhotoStream and your music are not part of iCloud backup system and don't get backed up. They have their own systems which don't take away from your available backup space allotment. Nice.

Thx,

Steven

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:04 AM

Settings->iCloud->Photos has nothing to do with your iCloud backup. Tap it and you wll see it is for turning PhotoStream on and off.

To control what goes into your iCloud backup, you need to go down (past "Photos") to "Storage & Backup"->"Manage Storage" and then tap on the Backup for that device. There, yes, you can disable Camera Roll if you wish. Just be sure to backup those photos somewhere, or be very regular about transferring them to iPhoto on your computer (or whatever you use for Photo storage and archiving). You can also disable any apps that store data you do not need backed up (maybe, games and such). As you disable things in the backup, you should see the projected backup file size estimate change so you know how much space you are saving.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 7:04 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

Settings->iCloud->Photos has nothing to do with your iCloud backup. Tap it and you wll see it is for turning PhotoStream on and off.

To control what goes into your iCloud backup, you need to go down (past "Photos") to "Storage & Backup"->"Manage Storage" and then tap on the Backup for that device. There, yes, you can disable Camera Roll if you wish. Just be sure to backup those photos somewhere, or be very regular about transferring them to iPhoto on your computer (or whatever you use for Photo storage and archiving). You can also disable any apps that store data you do not need backed up (maybe, games and such). As you disable things in the backup, you should see the projected backup file size estimate change so you know how much space you are saving.

Feb 25, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Michael Black

The Photo Stream and Camera Roll differentiation is not the most clear that it could be IMHO. I was on with AppleCare for an hour and didn't get it sorted out fully like you just did in moments. I was also told that once on iCloud it was stuck there which I just learned but turning off Camera Roll that all upload pix were deleted.

Personally, I would make that an option, but for now I'm happy to manually backup to my computer like Iv'e alwasy done.

Thanks Michael for making this easy and simple to understand.

Steven

Can we NOT backup Camera Roll to iCloud Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.