Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files from a hard drive to a new mac?

Currently, I have a 2012 Macbook pro. I love it, but its kinda slow for me. When I bought my Mac, I didn't realize how much I would use it, so I bought the cheapest 15 inch in from 2012 (2.3GHz 4GB RAM 500GB HD) Now, I'm upgrading to a 15inch Retina Macbook Pro with 2.0 GHz 8GB RAM and a 512Gb HD. A local electronics store said that they will buy my mac for $950 from me, and I said yes. Then, I hooked up a 1TB Hard Drive and let time machine work it's magic.

When I go to buy my new mac, what will I need to do to transfer all of the files from the hard drive?

Also, I have over 150 movies in iTunes that are ripped dvds and 2000 songs from CDs, and I added info and artwork for all of them. Will they all still be formatted with artwork and info when I import them into iTunes on a new mac?

Lastly, will I see a huge power boost in the retina Macbook pro with 8gb RAM and a 2.0GHz processor? or should I save up some more money for the 16GB RAM and 2.3GHz Processor? I'm going to college in a year, so I do tons of email/safari-ing, word processing, itunes playing, and downloading, usually at the same time. A usual day for me consists of writing a document in pages or microsoft word, while listning to music from iTunes, with safari open with multiple tabs, and something downloading to my mac. Thank you for the help, it's tremendously appriciated.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 9:38 AM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2014 10:11 AM in response to kinnejon18

When you first start up the new Mac you will be asked to enter personal information, etc. At some point you will be asked if you want to transfer files from another source, including Time Machine back up. Make sure your back is connected, and just follow the directions on the screen.

All formatting etc. will be intact, since TM makes sure it is.

As for perfomance, the biggest performance boost would be a solid state drive. Have you looked at that option?

And one of the more prevalent reasons for perfomance hit is an over-stuffed start up drive. Mac OS X needs empty space on the start up disk to do its tasks, make sure you give it enough. Take a look at this: http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/How-Much-Free-Drive-Space-Do-I-Need.htm

Transfer files from a hard drive to a new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.