Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay to wifi speaker drops intermittently

I'm having a very odd issue with the audio dropping out every 2 seconds on an airplay enabled wifi speaker (Xtrememac TangoAir). I have a MacMini that is hard wired to my home Gigabit Ethernet network. When I try to play anything from the MacMini to the TangoAir the music starts up, but then drops out ever 2 seconds or so and then comes on an off in a fairly regular pattern. The TangoAir is on the 2.4 GHz network. What makes this really odd is that if I try to stream the audio from an iPhone 5 or iPad Air I don't get the audio dropouts. The IOS devices can be on either the 2.4 GHz network or the 5GHz network so I'm assuming my home router is working fine. I'm running dd-wrt on a Netgear WNDR4300. I've disconnected the ethernet cable and attached my Macmini to the home network via wifi and when I do this I don't get any of the audio dropouts. Does anyone have any idea what would cause that sort of behavior? Is there some sort of issue with the bridging of the wire and wireless networks that would cause this and why wouldn't you see the same issue if between the 5GHz to 2.4 GHz networks?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 9:50 AM

2 replies

Mar 19, 2014 4:07 PM in response to braden85

Turns out one of the ethernet segments in my home is bad. I was dropping approximately 17% of the packets on that segment. I ran a test by bypassing that segment with a 100' CAT5e cable and the issue went away. I can't get into the walls of my house to drop a new line as that segment goes from the 1st story to the 2nd story so I'm using a powerline networking bridge in lieu of that damaged ethernet cable.

Airplay to wifi speaker drops intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.