Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2013 mac pro and the volume keys aren't changing the volume of my LED display. The icon shows up as going up or down but the volume seems to not adjust.

I've had this computer since october of 2013 or so and I have just recently run into this problem. I use the volume keys on the keyboard and I hear the tick sounds and it shows that its going up and down but the volume doesn't actually change. I've looked in the "sound" settings and everythings seems to be correct... I can't adjust the sound in their either though. I pay too much to be having an issue like this.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 10:48 AM

12 replies

Feb 25, 2014 1:20 PM in response to tnymhvlvch

Possible? Yes. Likely? I'm not sure.

In my house, I would suspect that either one of our pets chewed on a cable or dislodged a connector, or somebody bumped a connection loose, but then I would expect either no volume at all or hum from a grounding problem. Clear, non-zero constant volume is harder to explain.

You say adjusting the output volume directly in the Sound settings or on the menu bar also has no effect on the audible output?

You might want to go ahead and answer the question about connections. Somebody else might come along who recognizes a possible problem with the particular combination you are using. I don't have exactly your model of Mac Pro or display. (Is yours the Apple LED Cinema Display? Which size?)

Feb 25, 2014 1:59 PM in response to markwmsn

When I adjust the volume with the F11/F12 keys I can hear the noise its supposed to make and the icon shows up and shows that its going up and down.. But the volume doesn't actually change, the ticks are the same volume.

When I go to "Sound" Settings and move that slider, it has not effect either haha. It's really strange.

It is the Apple LED Cinema, and its the 27" I believe.

Feb 25, 2014 8:29 PM in response to tnymhvlvch

Glad to hear it. I knew that some Apple monitors use the USB connection to control the screen brightness, so it wasn't much of a leap to guessing it might be used to control the volume of the speakers. The online manual for the display confirmed that the USB connection was required to use the display's camera, microphone, and speakers.

I have a 2013 mac pro and the volume keys aren't changing the volume of my LED display. The icon shows up as going up or down but the volume seems to not adjust.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.