Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way in i Photo '11 to crop a photo in an irregular manner? (e.g., scanned newspaper columns of varying sizes and lengths)

I want to edit some scanned newspaper prints to include only the columns in which I am interested. Is there any way to crop the scanned photo in an irregular manner so as to include only the relevant section?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 11:49 AM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2014 2:28 AM in response to markconard

You can do it in iPhoto, if the crop you want is rectangular and not a standard format.

Do it in iPhoto, by choosing Edit > Crop > and unchecking the Constrain box.

You can also do it in Preview, by cropping to the desired size with the cross-hair that appears when you mouseover the image, and then selecting Crop from the Tools menu.

If you want to select several areas of a newspaper page - hiding areas you don't want - you can do it in Keynote.

Import your scanned image to Keynote, and create shapes to cover what you don't want. You can blank out unwanted areas completely, or have them semi-opaque, so they remain visible without pulling the focus away from the areas you want to highlight.

Feb 26, 2014 4:18 AM in response to citroenDS

That's not quite the same thing, if I read the query correctly. It's always going to be a quadrilateral shape - square, rectangle etc. I suspect the query is asking about things like L-shapes - where a column flows over to the next and such things. This is not possible in iPhoto nor Preview.

There are a couple of things you can do: one is to crop the relevant quatrilaterals and then re-assmeble the pieces in a Layout programme like Pages.

Is there any way in i Photo '11 to crop a photo in an irregular manner? (e.g., scanned newspaper columns of varying sizes and lengths)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.