Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Benefits of installing OS vs CCC

Just bought a second hand MacPro5,1 (Mid 2010) with no hard drives.

I was thinking of just cloning my 2008 iMac (Mavericks) drive using carbon copy cloner straight onto the new SSD going into the macpro.

But then I thought installing an OS might add the right firmware needed for the macpro 3.33GHz processor and motherboard other than just using the copy drive right from the iMac.

So I was going to install Snow Leopard onto the new SSD (because I have the install disc) then use migration assistant from the iMac to the MacPro, then upgrade to Mavericks.

Will it make a difference going about it this way or should I just do it the simple way with ccc?

Can I install Mavericks via usb then use migration assistant?

There are too many ways to do it just want to know the best.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 12:03 PM

7 replies

Feb 25, 2014 2:39 PM in response to eyeangle

just go straight to 10.9.1+

How to make your own bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mav ericks-usb-install-drive/

Usually there is no need to install or reinstall if you keep some backup clone sets.

A. It should work. Old wise tale, redo combo update immiately afterwards.

B. If it doesn't work you have not lost much if any.

C. If you create or have Maveriks install, it plus Setup Assistant is quick and painless.

congrats on the 2010 model. Now just go out, buy yourself a nice $155 250GB Samsung 840 EVO and Icy Dock, and another drive for data and 99% of user files, and 3TB drive for backup. And if y ou go with SSD and they do make a nicer system, install TRIM Enabler. Can make or prevent slow writes and better manage SSD.

Feb 25, 2014 3:16 PM in response to eyeangle

Thanks for your help. I'm a bit iffy about using the mavericks boot USB, I don't really know if Apple intented for that to happen or if it's even legal??

What are the negatives to using CCC, I've done it before and it's so simple and I could just clone my mavericks straight across to the new ssd.

You both voted migration assistant was the better way to go but I'm curious as to why.

Yes, I'm going to get the samsung ssd evo and an large wd hdd. Thanks I hadn't heard of the Icy Dock or trim enabler, cheers.

Feb 25, 2014 4:13 PM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

How to make your own bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mav ericks-usb-install-drive/

I don't want to hijack the thread but I've always preferred to install the full up OS on the thumb drive (32 GB drives are under $20) plus a copy of the full OS X installer and my favorite drive utility (DiskWarrior in my case). Seems much more useful than just a basic OS install package.

Feb 26, 2014 9:32 AM in response to eyeangle

It's slow but then again it's for emergencies, not something you do day to day work on. It gives the ability to run disk maintenance software when things are messed up and the ability to reinstall the OS if necessary. Better than just a basic OS installer (in my oppinion) that many people try to create.

DiskWarrior is a drive maintenance utility, there are others such as TechTool Pro and Drive Genius (I have not used them).

Benefits of installing OS vs CCC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.