Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD player not working

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the DVD player on my IMac isn't working? When I insert a disc there is no response and playback doesn't start?

IMAC 27in, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 11:59 AM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2014 8:46 AM in response to gingerjo

gingerjo wrote:

Unfortunately not - mac all up to date, no error message, just tried again and I can hear the computer start up & try to read the disc but then it stops making a noise. Doesn't even recognise disc on the desktop, think it must be a hardware error.

Another help source (if you haven't already done so).

Go to your OS Help Menu. In the search field type dvd

Click on all the troubleshooting topics & Support Articles that pertain to your issue.

You can also do the same in Disk Utility. Open same up.

At the bottom left of the window, click on the purple button w/the "?" in the middle.

This will bring up the Help Menu.

===============

Try a different brand. Top forum favorites

CDs

FUJI

TDK

Verbatim

DVDs

Maxell

Verbatim

==============

Apple's Disc Burning Quick Assist

Make sure the DVDs are not dirty, smudged and/or scratched.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2000Mac doesn't start up from install disc

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot-loading SuperDrive

*** Your drive may need cleaning. Cleaning kits can be purchased from any store that sells CD/DVDs. **

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2014 2:55 PM in response to sverd

sverd wrote:

There are lots of people having this issue with an upgrade to Mavricks. I have the same issue. Reads CDs but not DVDs. Did not happen until the clean install of Mavericks.

The original poster is not using Mavericks per their system profile. Perhaps you should post in the Mavericks forum if you have not already done so to confirm if it's a OS issue or not.

User uploaded file

DVD player not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.