Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound in System Preferences keeps changing outputs

I have a PCIe card (424 from MOTU) that I use as sound output. It keeps getting reset to INTERNAL SPEAKERS. I'm wondering if there's a pref file or something that needs to be changed trashed to keep this from changing.

This is a used computer that I just bought and wiped the drive and setup and installed all my programs. I didn't have this problem on my old computer.

Anyone know what's going on? It's VERY annoying having to reset the output every time I want to hear playback.

thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 24 Gigs RAM. PCIe 424 sound card

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 1:59 PM

I think I fixed this. I'll post what I did in case anyone else has the issue.

I opened my System Preferences and selected an output i DIDN'T want to you (in my case, internal speakers).

I then opened up

Mac HD / Library / Preferences / Audio and deleted "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist"

then I selected the output i WANTED to use (in my case, my PCIe card) and it immediately created a new "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist" in the folder where I just deleted the old one.

I restarted and voila...the output was set correctly to the PCIe I want to use.

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Dallas Kruse

I think I fixed this. I'll post what I did in case anyone else has the issue.

I opened my System Preferences and selected an output i DIDN'T want to you (in my case, internal speakers).

I then opened up

Mac HD / Library / Preferences / Audio and deleted "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist"

then I selected the output i WANTED to use (in my case, my PCIe card) and it immediately created a new "com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist" in the folder where I just deleted the old one.

I restarted and voila...the output was set correctly to the PCIe I want to use.

Hope this helps.

Sound in System Preferences keeps changing outputs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.