4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 1:39 PM by Larry McJunkin
Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I'm trying so hard to use iWork (latest version) but with each simple problem I encounter I get closer and closer to re-installing Office for Mac. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't think so. I have a very simple spreadsheet and in column A each line has an article title, and it's been properly hyperlinked (left-click shows that). But I can't click on any of these titles to launch Safari (or any browser) and if I copy the cells in the spreadsheed and put them into an email the titles aren't hotlinked. They're underlined...that's all.

If I send someone this spreadsheet I expect them (or me) to be able to simply click on an article title and go to the corresponding webpage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • SGIII Level 5 Level 5 (5,305 points)

I have a very simple spreadsheet and in column A each line has an article title, and it's been properly hyperlinked (left-click shows that). But I can't click on any of these titles to launch Safari (or any browser) and if I put the spreadsheed into an email the titles aren't hotlinked.

Larry,

Numbers 3 so far is a bit clunky with links, but generally they can be made to work.  How are you hyperlinking the titles? Are you using the HYPERLINK function, something like this? 

Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 3.53.23 PM.png

Or some other method?

SG

• Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I've been aware of this version's short-comings and why they exist (for all of iWorks) but this is pretty basic stuff. I add an article title into a cell, highlight the text, then right-click and select "Add Link"...add it, and that's it.

Oddly, if I select one cell and copy it, I can add that cell into an email and it will be hotlinked. But if I highlight the top cell, and "Shift+Click" the bottom cell, they all are selected, but when I copy/add them into an email body nothing is hyperlinked...just underlined.

• SGIII Level 5 Level 5 (5,305 points)

Hi Larry,

Interesting. Never tried creating links that way.

I can report that selecting text in a cell, rigth-clicking, and Add Link does work here.

And selecting multiple cells with links and pasting them to email (something else I've never tried) does work as well, with all the links active in the email (you right-click in the email near the link and choose Open Link)

So it should work.

Perhaps you could try with a different set of cells and see if this works on those.

(My document was created in Numbers 3, not imported from Numbers 2. That can sometimes make a difference.)

SG

• Larry McJunkin Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

No, we're doing the same things, and it's not working (all the time) for me. If I select a single copied cell at a time it seems to work. And, if I select several cells it "sometimes" works. And just a few minutes ago I selected all the cells and it worked once...but trying the same thing a second time didn't work.

But never, when viewing the spreadsheet, is any of the hyperlinked text actually clickable. I have to right-click on it, then select "Open".

BTW, I'm using Numbers 3.1 and it's a newly created document.