Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2013 Right USB port only works with 3.0 devices

Hi,

I have a mid-2013 13" mba. The problem is that my right USB port only recognizes USB 3.0 devices.

It does not see any USB 2.0 devices, including hard drives, keyboards, mices, etc. However, USB 3.0 devices work perfectly fine. I have a USB 3.0 hard drive and it works perfectly at full speed.

The left USB port works without any problems, it's only with the right USB port.

I have already tried resetting the SMC, but that didn't do anything. I feel that it should be a software issue, since the port still provides power and works obviously with 3.0 devices.

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 1:06 PM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2014 3:24 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Thanks for the reply.

Definitely not a problem with the port, because USB 3.0 devices work fine. I don't know how the internal connections work, but I assume that the USB ports go to the same controller chip and the chip decides whether to provide 2.0 or 3.0 connection. Perhap something is wrong with the chip.

Unfortunately, there aren't any apple stores at where I am located right now, so I don't really have anywhere to go to diagnose my problem. I might try calling apple, but I highly doubt they can solve the issue through the phone.

Feb 26, 2014 4:00 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Yes, I just checked and no bent contacts. I just did some research on USB 3.0 and it seems that it uses the back 5-pin row if the computer has 3.0 support. So my guess that either the USB controller is broken or something internally is disconnected for the 4-pin USB 2.0 connection.

Yes, I also resetted my SMC and PRAM. That did not do anything.

Strangely, when I'm in Windows, windows knows that I have plugged in a device, but it cannot recognize the device.

Mid-2013 Right USB port only works with 3.0 devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.