Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13 Early 2011 - SSD overheats and shuts down

Hey guys, there is a question for you.

I have a really long story with upgrading of my MBP 13 Early 2011. You can see it on my discussions.

What I have now is next:

when SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB) in usual HDD bay of mac it gets overheats after some period of time and system crushes.

The usual temperature of this is 35 degrees Celsius (96 Fahrenheit). This data is collected from Disk Drill utility.

Before this temperature everything is really fast and stable.

And if SSD connected through Sata3-USB cable - everything is OK too (I was not able to reach such temperature indicators)

I do not have such problems whith HDD.

Before all this I've replaced my broken SATA 3 cable (from HDD bay to logic board) on the new one at Apple certified Service Centre.

What is the problem?

SSD or Mac HW or Mac OS?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 1:22 PM

5 replies

Feb 25, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Michael Nikonov

Michael,

I have a Samsung 840 PRO SSD in my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro, and the usual temperature is in the low 40s °C (according to smcFanControl), with no overheating and no system crashes. Are you saying that 35°C is its stable temperature, or that that’s its overheating temperature?

Have you tried resetting your MacBook Pro’s System Management Controller?

Have you tried verifying and/or repairing your SSD in Disk Utility, when booted in Recovery mode?

Feb 25, 2014 9:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I tried to do so using Terminal command that I found in the net:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x5 1)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorag e.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

but TRIM was not activated.
Can you advise for another command?
Thank you

MBP 13 Early 2011 - SSD overheats and shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.