Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups not in Time Machine

MacBook Air 13" Mid 2011 256gb SSD OS X 10.7.5 - backing up to USB attached 750gb 2.5" HDD

Recently I had some trouble with Outlook and I need to restore my Outlook data from Time Machine. Had trouble doing that until I found that the drive in my MacBook Air (256gb with 150gb free) was just too small to rebuild the Outlook DB. Have cloned my 256gb drive onto a 750gb and this created an issue I don't know how to handle.

Upon plugging the Time Machine backup drive into the MacBook (now running from the cloned drive) Time Machine asked if I would like to 'inherit' the Time Machine backups - this was looking promising. When I entered Time Machine I found that the last 3 months of backups are simply not available. Everything before that is available oddly enough. I can see the backups for the last 3 months if I look into the Time Machine drive in the backups.backupdb folders. See images below for a better understanding.

Prior to the clone and booting from the clone drive I had access to all backups in Time Machine. Is there another way to pull the backups out of the Time Machine drive if Time Machine wont give me access to them?

Can't access them here:

User uploaded file

But they are here:

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 1:14 PM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2014 1:19 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Most definitely have been backing up to the nominated EXT USB drive.

A. Only have a 256gb boot drive. I would notice if that was filling up with backups.

B. Time Machine (AFAIK) will not allow you to choose your boot drive as a backup location without first partitioning it. Have never tried it, but even then I have my doubts.

C. I definietly have the last 3 months backups on the EXT USB drive. I can browse them in finder. This drive has 2 years worth of backup folder structure in the 'backups.backupdb' folder.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it is completely off the mark.

P.

Time Machine Backups not in Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.