Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to point managed clients back to the public Apple Software Update Server

Hi there,

I have a 10.8.5 Mountain Lion machine running as a Software Update server. I have configured roughly 20 Mavericks desktops here in the office to point to that ML server using Profile Manager. Recently we've been running into a conflict with FileMaker Server 13 and the Server App in Mountain Lion, and have had to remove the Server App from that Mountain Lion server, effectively killing in-house software updates.

No big deal, I'll just point the desktops back to the public Apple Update Servers.

Oh Wait......how does one go about doing that? In Profile Manager, simply removing the Software Update element from the profile on the machines doesn't seem to do anything - they all still try to connect to the internal server. Also, I've tried the whole "sudo defaults write....URL" command to no avail. Any ideals?

I just want to point my machines back to the public Apple software update servers.

Thanks in advance for any hints and advice!

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:32 PM

If you have removed the Profile containing this value and you have stopped any MCX that may be pushing it, then you should be able to simply delete the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file. This assumes you've been managing this at the device level. If you have been managing at the user level, you may also need to look in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.

Now, if you have pushed this via MCX, you may have stagnant MCX cache. You can dump the MCX cache and reboot, allowing the device to pull down a new payload of MCX.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 7:32 PM in response to zshew

If you have removed the Profile containing this value and you have stopped any MCX that may be pushing it, then you should be able to simply delete the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file. This assumes you've been managing this at the device level. If you have been managing at the user level, you may also need to look in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.

Now, if you have pushed this via MCX, you may have stagnant MCX cache. You can dump the MCX cache and reboot, allowing the device to pull down a new payload of MCX.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Mar 3, 2014 10:06 AM in response to zshew

I have the same problem but removing the /Library/ManagedClient forlder did not solve the problem.

I log in as the adminsitrator to the client and delete the above and all preferences for com.apple.softwareupdate.plist from both the /Library and /User/.../Library.

I have even gone to Users and Accounts and unbound the network accounts.

But when I log in or restart the /ManagedClient folder reappears and sure enough in it is a reference to the old software server.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mitch

Mar 6, 2014 5:30 AM in response to paulfromburwood

Hi Paul,

After trying all the above, I went to Directory Utility and remove the Filserver from the list. i.e. the computer is no longer enrolled with Server 3.0. I then delete all the preferences and MCX files as above. Reboot and presto. Everyhting is back!!.

BTW I have deleted all the computer and computer group accounts on the Server. But the data still persists somewhere in the Open Directory. If there was a way to delete those records on the Server, that should solve my problem .

Very strange.

Thanks for your help.

Mitch

How to point managed clients back to the public Apple Software Update Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.