Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail merge to lables

I need to merge data from a numbers '09 table to labels in Pages '09. I realized last night that I can only merge data to a "New Document" in Pages! Am I going to have to go back to MS Office to do this or am I missing something? Does anyone know if the newest version of Pages supports merging to lables?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 2:09 PM

10 replies

Feb 25, 2014 7:03 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I'm using Pages 4.3 and Numbers 2.3 on an iMac running Mountain Lion. Pages and Numbers were included in an iWork '09 pkg I purchased from Apple.

I didn't say Pages 5 was worse than Pages '9. What I said was that when I do a merge from Numbers '09 to a document created in Pages '09 I don't have a choice for populating labels in the Pages document. The choices are to merge to a New Document or to a printer. If I have say 10 rows in the Numbers document, then the merge results in 10 Pages documents. with Word and Excel, Word can be configured to print labels such as Avrey Lables and when you merge from Excel to Word, it will print each row of the table to a new label on the same sheet.

What I am trying to acomplish is to print a directory of names and addresses from a Numbers sheet. I want the format of the printed document to be two columns wide and 8 rows long for US Letter Portrait printing. When I used to use Excel and Word, I could tell Word to use a Label format but print on plain paper. Each name and address from the Excel document would be printed where a label would have been located.

Hope this is clearer and any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to go back to Windows!

Feb 25, 2014 9:30 PM in response to canalman

I didn't say you said. I said Pages 5 is not the solution.

If you use the merge on a layout in Pages '09, yes it generates a new document with a new page for every record.

On a Mac you generate labels with Contacts/Address Book which has all the Avery labels in its print dialog and can also format text and add graphics, but not with the control of Pages.

Whether you insert plain paper or a label sheet is up to you, the printer is none the wiser.

Peter

Feb 26, 2014 8:12 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

OK- I see how this works but it won't work for me. We still have other users that use Windows machines and we all share the same excel database. There are fields in the database that are data fields that need to be included as well as contact info so I guess I need to resurrect my old WIN XP machine.

Thanks for the help but this may be the death blow for other Mac's in this office.

Feb 26, 2014 6:51 PM in response to canalman

Windows is not a great place to manage images. Neither is Linux.

In OSX there is an enormous number of ways to view files and see them in detail.

Just in Finder you can use CoverFlow, huge Thumbnail previews, Pop-up Previews, Column views and the Info panel. In Mavericks you can then Tag them or in any OSX use the Comments to create a metadata system or use a direct Metadata tool of which there are several free utilities.

Aperture is a beast of a management system as well. With Capture One and Lightroom as good alternatives.

If Mavericks and Pages 5 do not make the cut, I really don't see why you don't just back out and boot off another drive/system. I have several.

I am not sure why exactly you are linking spreadsheets to other files on your system, but if it is to index & charge FileMaker would be a much better system, or set up a webpage to act as a front end.

Peter

Feb 27, 2014 8:16 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

We use Aperture and Photoshop for nearly all post processing so that's why we have some MAC's. They can't be beat for graphics. Excel has been the workhorse for database management but we have been trying to eliminate Windows. Raw and processed photos are stored on local drives with backups on remote drives. Links to the images are from the spreadsheets so the business end can scan thumbnails quickly. Photo libraries are through Aperture and that's the main directory for image processing.

I'm tired of trying to support two operating systems and tired of Windows and really tired of Microsoft so that's why I have been trying to switch to Apple products for the business side as well as the graphics.

Thanks for trying to help but I've wasted too much time on this issue now.

mail merge to lables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.