Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new computer, and downloaded iTunes but get an error message (Error 2) that Apple Application Support was not found. I have Windows 7

It tells me to uninstall, then reinstall iTunes, but I got the same result after I did that. What do I do now?

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 5:22 PM

13 replies

Feb 25, 2014 6:37 PM in response to JulieJD

With the Error 2, let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Feb 25, 2014 7:01 PM in response to JulieJD

I tried to install the iTunes64 for Windows, but got an error message that iTunes64Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

That usually indicates the installer has gotten damaged during the download.

Try downloading an installer from the Apple website using a different web browser:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If you use Firefox instead of IE for the download (or vice versa), do you get a working installer?

If you can't get a working installer via the standard download links, try the following download links instead:

Feb 26, 2014 1:33 PM in response to b noir

Thank you for getting back to me!

I was using Chrome to download originally, as I have recently had problems with IE shutting down constantly. I cannot finish the installation if I try to download using IE because it keeps shutting down.

I tried using the direct links you gave above (iTunes63Setup.exe) using Chrome and am still getting the Error 2 message that Apple Application Support was not found.and also another box with Error 2 (Windows error 2) with the same message.

I have tried to unintall iTunes as recommended by the error message, and keep getting a "Warning 1910. Could not remove Shortcut i Tunes.Ink. Verify that the shortcut file exists and that you can access it." message.

I copy and pasted the links you gave me above into Firefox, and got a message that the site was untrusted. Are my security settings too high?

Thank you for your continued help.

Feb 26, 2014 7:51 PM in response to b noir

*Sigh* - no luck, still receiving the same error messages after downloading off Chrome. It will go all the way through the install every time, but when it goes to open, that's when the error messages come up.

Firefox still pulls up that its an untrusted connection, even though I allowed Firefox access through my Firewall.

Got the same error message after downloading from IE (I have IE 11) too.

Do I need to change a setting on my Firewall, or Antivirus?

Thanks for all your help and patience so far. I appreciate you sticking with me for this.

Feb 26, 2014 7:53 PM in response to JulieJD

Perhaps try downloading and saving a copy of the installer to a different PC. (If you're on a 32-bit Windows system, try to download on a different 32-bit Windows system.) Copy the iTunesSetup.exe installer to an external hard-drive, or a large-enough thumb drive or burn it to a CD-R. Carry the installer back to your PC, copy the installer to your hard drive. (Don't run the install from the ExHD, thumb or CD-R.)

What error message do you get when you try to install from that installer?

Feb 28, 2014 7:54 AM in response to JulieJD

I tried both of these options - it still gives me the same message. Is there not a customer support number I can call? I tried to get one through the iTunes store, but they want a serial number before they give you the customer support number? How am I supposed to get a serial number if I can't open the darn program!?! I am getting seriously frustrated with this whole thing, I want to talk to a live person to help me. I've been trying to do this for a week now and it is getting rediculous. No offense - I really do appreciate everyone's patience and trying to help me on here, but I think someone needs to walk me through this on the phone to get it accomplished, becuase obviouslly I am still missing something here....

Aug 23, 2015 9:27 AM in response to b noir

Hi! I've been having the same problems as Julie installing iTunes and after i tried what turingtest2 says in troubleshooting, i've tried what you've said here:

With the Error 2, let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

The problem is that the "AppleApplicationSupport" file installs normally but with the "AppleApplicationSupport64" file I keep having this error message

"Error applying transformers. Check if the specified transformers pathways are valid" (Sorry if the precise text isn't very accurate because this is a rough translation of my portuguese software).

Can you please help? Thx

Aug 31, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Edson Moreira

I suspect the error message reads: "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid." This has happened to others whose system language is Arabic while installing the main iTunes component and seems to be due to a bug with the iTunes 12.2.2.25 for Windows installers. Temporarily change your system to a supported language to allow the installation to complete. Supported languages for the installer are: Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.

Yours is the first report I've spotted regarding Portuguese. Would you mind letting me know if you are in Portugal or Brazil?

tt2

I have a new computer, and downloaded iTunes but get an error message (Error 2) that Apple Application Support was not found. I have Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.