Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help creating a formula that looksup cell data and give a value.

User uploaded file

I want to have the table "At a glance" show the total days a driver has worked, there total in sales and there total in milage. The table shown is a example of what I want to have happen. I want to input any name into cell B2,C2,D2,ect. that is found in the row C2:C17 of Checkpoint (Truck 1) and Checkpoint (Truck 2) and return the total amount of day the driver has driven both trucks, The total in sales the driver has collected (Truck 1 and 2) and How many miles the driver has driven (Truck 1 and 2). I realize that these tables are not labeled correct. If I enter a name into B2 and the driver associated with that name hasnt driven then I want "N/A' to show in cell B2 and so one. I assume that the formula that is created for cell B2 will be copied and pasted into cell C2, D2, ect..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If someone could help me with this problem I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 5:36 PM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2014 7:07 PM in response to blkrocket

BL,

Here is a solution to you specific post. I think there may be some refinements based on additional information:

User uploaded file

First,

For this example name the two data tables (exactly as shown):

"Truck 1" and "Truck 2"

In the summary table:

B2=IF(ISBLANK(B$1),"",COUNTIF(Truck 2::$Driver, B$1)+COUNTIF(Truck 1::$Driver, B$1))

B3=IF(ISBLANK($B1),"",SUMIF(Truck 1::$Driver,B$1,Truck 1::$Gross Sales)+SUMIF(Truck 2::$Driver,B$1,Truck 2::$Gross Sales)

B4=IF(ISBLANK($B1),"",SUMIF(Truck 1::$Driver,B$1,Truck 1::$Mileage)+SUMIF(Truck 2::$Driver,B$1,Truck 2::$Mileage))

select B2 thru B4, copy, now select B2 thru the end of row 4, paste

For the refinements? Are there more trucks? How many Will you keep adding days to the right (you know you can only add 240 columns, right?)?

Feb 25, 2014 7:08 PM in response to blkrocket

Hi br,

To show the number of days worked by a driver, you need to COUNT the number of times that driver's name appears in row 2 of both tables.

To calculate his total sales and total mileage, you need to SUM the amounts he brought in each day and the distances he drove each day.

Your functions for this are COUNTIF and SUMIF.

User uploaded file

Formulas in At a Glance:

B2: =COUNTIF(Truck 1 :: $3:$3,B$1)+COUNTIF(Truck 2 :: 3:3,B$1)

B3: =SUMIF(Truck 1 :: $3:$3,B$1,Truck 1 :: $5:$5)+SUMIF(Truck 2 :: $3:$3,B$1,Truck 2 :: $5:$5)

B4: =SUMIF(Truck 1 :: $3:$3,B$1,Truck 1 :: $12:$12)+SUMIF(Truck 2 :: $3:$3,B$1,Truck 2 :: $12:$12)

Fill all three formulas right to the last column of At a Glance.

To put N/A in place of the 0 in Roger's column and the empty columns, wrap each of the formulas in an IF statement:

Bn: =IF(AND(ISERROR(MATCH(B$1,Truck 1 :: $3:$3,0)),ISERROR(MATCH(B$1,Truck 2 :: $3:$3,0))),"N/A",formula)

Where formula is the formula used in column B above.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 25, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Barry

Thanks for the help. I have tried it and it seems to work so far. What will I need to add to the formula to include more trucks? I have over 20 vehicles with sheets numbered truck 1 thru truck 20. Do I ned to add more SUMIF's for each additional truck or can I condense the formula to include a range of trucks 1-20?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2014 10:11 PM in response to blkrocket

Hi br,

"There are over 30+ trucks. Is there a way to shorten the formula?"

I think I answered this yesterday in your new thread. Here's a similar list with, I think, a few more items.

You can shorten the formulas by:

• shortening the names of the Sheets (T1, T2, T3, etc,)
  • ensuring every references table has a name unique within the document (eliinates need for Sheet names in the formulas)
  • shortening the names of the Tables (eg. Cpt, AaG)
  • entering cell addresses directly rather than constructing them using INDIRECT
  • Recording data for several trucks on the same table.
  • possibly rewriting formulas to use OFFSET's capbiity to pick up values from a range of cells, and INDEX to place those values into a series of cells. (Not something I've explored, but one of the others here may have some ideas regardin tis possibiity.

The most effective way to shorten the formulas is likely the next ot last one on that list—use fewer tables.

Regards,

Barry

I need help creating a formula that looksup cell data and give a value.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.