Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.2 is so slow on a MAC PRO 2011

OMG

i took a chance and upgraded from 10.6.8 on my fully optimized MAC PRO

on the IMAC 2012 things go faster

what a fool i am

why are things slower on the MAC pro

and faster with the older system??

i repeat OMG

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 6:23 PM

13 replies

Feb 25, 2014 6:58 PM in response to glosackmd

How much RAM installed in your Mac Pro,

How full is your Mac's hard drive?

Do you run any antivirus software on your Mac? Antivirus software can slow down the normal operation of OS X as well having negative performance effects on OS X and other adverse system issues.

Do you have apps like MacKeeper or any other maintenance apps like CleanMyMac 1 or 2, TuneUpMyMac or anything like these apps, installed on your Mac?

These types of apps, while they appear to be helpful, can do too good a job of data "cleanup" causing the potential to do serious data corruption or data deletion and render a perfectly running OS completely dead and useless leaving you with a frozen, non-functional Mac.

Plus, these type of apps aren't really necessary.

They really aren't.

There are manual methods to clear off unnecessary data off of your Mac that are safer and you have complete control over your Mac and not just leave a piece of auto cleaning software in charge of clearing off data off of your Mac.

Their potential of causing OS X issues outweighs the implied good and benefits these types of hard drive or memory "cleaning" apps are written to do.

Plus, the software company's that write these apps make it hard to easily uninstall these apps if something DOES go wrong and these apps work in a way where you have no recovery or revert function to return your Mac back to its former, working state in the event something does go wrong.

It is best to never download and install these types of apps.

The risk to your system and data is too great a risk!

Your Mac Pro could have Mavericks incompatible hardware and/or software.

You may need to update all of your third party software if there are OS X Mavericks updates that can be applied. You may need to, ACTUALLY, go to the third party developers' websites if there are no updates through the Mac App Store.

Update all of your Web browser Internet plugins, also.

Also, if you have any connected third party devices, like non-Apple, third party keyboards, mice, drawing tablets, hubs, card readers, etc, you need to go to the device maker's website and update the drivers for these devices to OS X Mavericks compatible versions, if available or needed.

Feb 25, 2014 7:22 PM in response to glosackmd

I haven't installled the recent update, yet, but my 2009, 27 inch iMac with 16 GBs of RAM runs the last update of Mavericks like a champ.

I am not having issues.

Mavericks has a lot of big changes under the hood. There are things you need to do.

Updating as much of both your Apple and ANY third party software and /or hardware device drivers to Mavericks compatible versions may help to speed up your Mac.

Whatever software you have installed may need updates.

Feb 25, 2014 7:27 PM in response to glosackmd

One way to check if your issues are software related or not is to create another user account on your Mac and run your Mac under this user account to see if your Mac runs better or not.

If the new account runs better then you have an incompatibilty in your orignal user account that needs to be remedied.

The new user account can be easily erased when you are done with this test.

Feb 25, 2014 7:41 PM in response to glosackmd

With all due respect, you never mentioned that your Mac Pro was even running any version of OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Your initial post states you upgraded your Mac Pro directly to the latest Mavericks update from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

My advice is based on that info that you supplied.

Your Mac Pro isn't your iMac.

There are going to be things you will need to do to get your Mac Pro to run smoothly on Mavericks.

Did everything go well initially when you first upgraded your iMac to Mavericks?

Based upon the info you supplied! OS X Mavericks is a totally revamped 64 bit OS.

There are many things that need to updated to work with Mavericks that weren't issues in OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and earlier.

Feb 25, 2014 7:53 PM in response to glosackmd

Other things you can try.

Open Disk Utitliy and try doing a repair permissions

Try a PRAM ans SMC reset.

Resetting the PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

Resetting the System Management Controller

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Feb 26, 2014 8:35 AM in response to glosackmd

I have found an issue with TechTool Pro and the OSX 10.9.2 Update.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB hard drive, quad-core CPU, 16 GB RAM, decent GPU.

I am running the latest version of TechTool Pro, 7.0.2.

Before updating from Mavericks 10.9.1, the system was running at lightning speed, even while running Windows 7 Professional under VMware Pro with Dreamscene active and lots of resource-hungry apps.

After I updated to Mavericks 10.9.2, with Techtool Pro protection on the system slowed to a crawl.

After I turned Techtool Pro protection off, the system sped up to normal again.

For those running the latest version of Techtool Pro as of this writing (7.0.2), I would recommend turning off Techtool Pro protection after the upgrade to Mavericks 10.9.2 until Micromat releases an update.

Aug 8, 2014 1:36 PM in response to glosackmd

I have the same problem also. Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB Ram, 380GB of available hard drive space.

10.6 was running fine but because I needed the latest Adobe software I had to upgrade. Since OSX 10.9 was free I upgraded to 10.9.4. Now it runs slower and the display seems to hesitate at times. I definitely do not have any antivirus or any other useless software on here.

I have done the PRAM, disk permission.

10.9.2 is so slow on a MAC PRO 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.