Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move external hd from airport to mac usb

Hello!

Just moved and I wasn't able to bring my airport extreme with me. I had a thirdparty hd attached to the extreme and it was used as my time machine backup. Now I would like to use the same external hd but plug it into my macbook pro's usb port. I would like to continue my time machine backups where I left off with the Extreme instead of starting a whole new backup. The computer does not recognize it as being the same hd that I used with the Extreme.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 7:26 PM

Please visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with all things Time Machine. There is a solution to your problem there on how to select the drive to continue your backups, I believe. Note that Time Machine's behavior is normal so far.

5 replies

Feb 25, 2014 7:42 PM in response to BryanZMan

This gets really tricky because Time Machine treats and views backups on a "network" drive entirely differently than it does backups on a drive connected directly to a Mac.

The backups that were made when the drive was connected to the AirPort Extreme are stored in a special container called a sparsebundle file.

Backups made when the drive is connected directly to a Mac are stored in a normal folder named Backups.backupdb

You can't mix the two types of backups without some really complicated work. Unless you have done this type of thing before, or you feel really comfortable with the steps in the document below, it is best to keep things simple....and separate.

Look over #18 in Time Machine --FAQ to get an idea of what will be involved. This is difficult stuff.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Unfortunately, Pondini is no longer with us, so you must accept the fact that there will likely be no one else to help if you have questions, or run into problems.

I've taken a look at this myself, and decided that the risk (and time involved) was not worth the reward. Good luck if you decide to proceed.

Feb 25, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

This is OT, but while you are here I have a quick question for you. My network's modem/router is provided by the cable company because I am using the VoIP service. The modem is in a room at one corner of the townhome on the second floor. I get poor connectivity at the other corner/end of the townhome on the first floor.

I have an AEX connected up in Bridge Mode to try and extend the network, but obviously extending a network isn't typically done in Bridge Mode. So it doesn't seem to help much. I cannot run Ethernet from the router to the AEX.

Other than using a third-party access point is there a way to get an AEX to extend the network when I am not able to use my AEBS?

Feb 25, 2014 8:02 PM in response to Kappy

Unfortunately, the problem here is that the AEX cannot wirelessly extend the signal from your cable company's modem/router, so you will have to use an Ethernet cable with the AirPort if you want it to provide more coverage.

Apple uses proprietary settings to 'extend" wirelessly, designed to only work with other Apple routers.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable from the modem/router to the AirPort, a "universal" extender from Netgear might be able to extend the signal wirelessly from the modem/router. The link to one of these devices is below....if the moderators don't pull it.

WN3000RP | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

Might be a good idea to understand the store's return policy in advance, since I have found that some "universal" exenders are really not all that "universal". 😉

Move external hd from airport to mac usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.