Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreem behavior with legacy devices?

I have all Wireless n devices (iPad, iPod Touch, Macbook Air, etc.)

Has anyone experienced if the new Airport Extreem shows any improvement in behavior over the old version? 😊

Thanks

-Mike

Svrl Apl Prdcts

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 8:45 PM

FWIW. I replaced my 4th generation AirPort Extreme with the 6th gen 802.11ac model. Since none of my wireless clients support 802.11ac, I did not notice any improvement in speed ... as I expected. However, what I did notice is that devices generally saw improved bandwidth at the same distance from the base station over the older model.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2014 8:45 PM in response to Soniq2

FWIW. I replaced my 4th generation AirPort Extreme with the 6th gen 802.11ac model. Since none of my wireless clients support 802.11ac, I did not notice any improvement in speed ... as I expected. However, what I did notice is that devices generally saw improved bandwidth at the same distance from the base station over the older model.

Feb 25, 2014 8:46 PM in response to Soniq2

The new Extreme will not really provide significant improvement with normal "n" devices, but the signal range will likely be a bit better on the new Extreme mostly in part due to an improved antenna design.

I would estimate the range improvement to be 5-10% as a result of some informal tests that I've done with the product here. No way to predict what your results might be, however.

If you are in the market for a new router, then the new AirPort is probably worth a look, particularly if you plan to add 802.11ac computers in the next few years.

Airport Extreem behavior with legacy devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.