Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Time Warner Arris Modem/Router

Time Warner Cable gave me an Arris DG860 modem/router gateway, and it is connected to my Airport Extreme. The wifi or secure lights are NOT on in the Time Warner modem, and the orange light is blinking in Airport, but I do seem to be getting wifi for my computer and phone (both Apple products) but not on my Samsung smart TV (although I did before). Any suggestions? I think there is some interference. Any suggestions? Is the simplest solution to call Time Warner and request a simpler modem?

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 10:56 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2014 7:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Same dilemma here

Mac is directly connected to new Arris DG860. Works great.

I have an 'older' Apple Extreme (flat model). This is not powered-on as the Arris is acting as the primary wifi router.

Recently purchased Apple Time Capsule (TC). I'd like the new TC to extend the Arris wifi signal.

I called Apple Support. I was advised that the TC cannot extend the wifi signal of the Arris. An Apple box can only extend the wifi signal of another Apple box.... ie. TC wifi ---> extended by Apple Extreme (AE)

Apple Support informed that if I ultimately wanted to connect my Arris to the new TC, I must change the Arris to Bridge mode, disable DHCP and disable NAT. Then create a new wireless network within the TC.

Then I would be able to use the TC as the primary wifi provider in the house.

My problem is, I've tried logging into the Arris via 192.168.0.1 and 'unchecking' all the DHCP options. But after doing all this, I lose all internet connectivity and must hard reset the Arris back to default.

I've looked elsewhere in Apple Community and some users have said that I must contact TWC in order to have their techs change the Arris to Bridge remotely..... OR ..... I purchase a modem-only box that is compatible with my cable internet.

Any additional input/advice? Thanks all.

Jun 21, 2014 4:16 PM in response to MostlyMauve

I have both 2G and 5G enabled on TimeWarner cable 'net. Was getting wifi dropping often. Here's the ONLY thing that worked for me:

I called TimeWarner. I walked through the disconnection of the wifi inside the Arris modem so that it was strictly operating as a modem.

(not that hard; just need the info from the dude on the phone. be sure you have an ethernet cable that you can use)

Then I set up my old Apple Extreme, via ethernet cable into the Arris modem, as the wifi base station.

All is good...so far.

What I'm trying to figure out is what that means for the split speeds and whether I might want to go back in and set up the 5G back to wifi and leave the 2G for the Apple Extreme to handle. I don't recall the specs on the Extreme, i.e., can it take the faster speed. Feel free to school me on that.

Anyhow... all is good now. No more deaths in League of Legends, ;-P

Aug 3, 2015 5:48 PM in response to MostlyMauve

My late 2010 iMac would not work with my Arris TG862 for more than a minute before the connection died. It would still show connection to the wifi but everything would stall. I tried logging into the gateway and changing wifi channel along with other tricks people thought might work, but nothing did. I had the same problem when I booted Windows on it too. After much searching it seems that this was an unsolved issue -- Mac hardware sometimes does not get along with Arris gateway wifi. I ended up going around the problem. I logged into the Arris gateway and disabled the wifi, plugging in my $20 Rosewill router to one of the LAN slots on the gateway. It works great!

Aug 3, 2015 6:17 PM in response to MostlyMauve

These error messages are indicating that your AirPort Extreme is not communicating properly with your new Arris gateway.

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

1. Power-down the Arris, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  2. Power-up the Arris; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  3. Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  4. Power-up your computer(s).

If the above steps do not solve the problem, start over with step 1 above, but then perform the next steps between steps 1 & 2. above.

1. Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Arris.
  2. While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  3. After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  4. Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Arris. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  5. Continue with step 2 in the first set of steps.

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the Extreme for wireless security and any other desired options.

Once you have successfully verified that your AirPort is now "communicating" with the Arris, you will need to do the next step which would be reconfigure the Extreme as a bridge as you do not want both routers to have NAT enabled. Note: This would be a "Double NAT" condition which you will want to avoid.

Problems with Time Warner Arris Modem/Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.