Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can shut down problem be fixed?

Since upgrading to my snazzy new iMac, I find that when I go to restart, after everything closes and the screen turns grey, I get the spinning gear, but it just keeps spinning forever. I have to hold the power button on the back to force quit. Sometimes, if nothing has been running, it will restart just fine, but usually not. What could be causing the computer to hang on the grey screen and can it be fixed?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 9:30 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2014 7:41 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Cartoonguy,

it might be a filesystem problem on your disk. You can try this to see if will fix the problem: boot your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the Mac OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Log in as normal, and try selecting Restart… from the Apple menu; does the beach ball still perpetually spin?

Can shut down problem be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.