Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Suddenly choppy. Why is this ?

I have a 13 inch macbook pro mid 2010.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 6 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Up untill today video streamin on the internet has run incredibly smoothly without a single hitch and now all of a sudden, videos on youtube and streaming videos in general now play extremely choppy. What could be the cause of this and how do i fix it ?

I'm a really new mac user.

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 11:14 PM

10 replies

Feb 25, 2014 11:32 PM in response to Yalonl

You've got AVG antivirus installed, which you don't really need. As long as you take reasonable care and don't download pirated applications and such, you don't need AV on a Mac. If anything, use something like Clam XAV and run it on demand. I'm guessing you've got a virus scan going on which is just taking up a lot of resources.

Feb 26, 2014 6:56 AM in response to Yalonl

all of a sudden, videos on youtube and streaming videos in general now play extremely choppy. What could be the cause of this and how do i fix it ?

Most likely, that was a problem with your internet connection, not with your computer. The fact that the problem has now solved itself is further evidence of that. Keep an eye on your network connection speed, using a tool like speedof.me. If video starts giving you trouble again, do a speed test and see how that compares to normal. If your network speed is way below normal, try restarting your cable/DSL modem and/or wireless router. If that doesn't help, contact your internet service provider.

I'd strongly recommend removing AVG. With regard to protecting yourself against malware, see my Mac Malware Guide.

Feb 26, 2014 7:07 AM in response to Yalonl

Also, for future problem solving. When you look at Activity Monitor make sure you have All Processes being shown instead of just My Processes. I can't recall off the top of my head how to do this in the new Activity Monitor since I'm not using my Mac currently. Also, make sure your Flash player is up to date.

Video Suddenly choppy. Why is this ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.