Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to highlights individual words in a cell, but the option "Highlight" is gray... any suggestions?

As the titel says... I need to highlight some ords, but the option is gray no matter what I do. Any ideas?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Airport Express Network 2KB Ram

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 12:07 AM

10 replies

Feb 26, 2014 1:43 AM in response to Wolfgang S

Hi Wolfgang,

I am not sure what you want to do.

Your profile shows Mac OS X 10.4.10. If that is up to date, you are using either Pages '08 or Pages '09. Or if your OSX is Mavericks 10.9.1, perhaps you are using Numbers 3.x. Please tell. 🙂

I do not know how to set a highlight (background) colour for single words in a cell in Numbers.

You can set the Fill colour for a whole cell.

When you say "highlight" do you mean the text colour? Or do you mean Bold?

When you try to highlight some words, which option is gray? Which Toolbar button or which Menu item is gray?

More information will help to find a solution.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 26, 2014 4:09 AM in response to Wolfgang S

Hi Wolfgang,

Numbers 3 Help is not helpful. I see what you mean.

https://help.apple.com/numbers/mac/3.0/#/tan7b8dd62c2

After telling us how to highlight a word in a cell, it says

If your intention in adding color behind text is to call it to a reviewer’s attention, add a highlight from the Insert menu at the top of your computer screen (choose Insert > Highlight) instead.

This works only in a Text Box, not in a cell. Selecting a word or phrase within a Text Box makes Menu > Insert > Highlight behave itself.

User uploaded file

We really need a downloadable User Guide PDF manual instead of that helpless online Help. 😉

Regards,

Ian

Feb 26, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian (and Wolfgang),

What Numbers 3 (and Pages 5) calls Highlight is a kind of commenting, and it doesn't print.

Character Background Fill (which is apparently now called Character Fill so that the label fits in the inspector) is an actual, printing format. If you want to use it a lot, it might be a little easier to put a small text box somewhere on your sheet with a word formatted with the desired Character Fill. Then, you can select that word, Copy Style (⌥⌘C) and Paste Style (⌥⌘V) to each selection that you want to "highlight."

I am trying to highlights individual words in a cell, but the option "Highlight" is gray... any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.