Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 17" MBP -- USB 3.0 portable, reliable, bus-powered option?

Hi everyone,

I have the above mentioned MacBook Pro, and have been scouring the Internet for quite a while trying to find a solid USB 3.0 solution.

Ideally what I'm looking for is accesibility for portable, bus powered USB 3.0, 7200 RPM hard drives.

I know there are limitations in what expresscard/34 can deliver in power, and have been really trying to figure out solutions, as my drive isn't getting sufficient power from my current card, especially if both usb 3.0 ports are occupied (even if the other is just a camera SD card, the HDD will just 'click').

I've looked at different adapters, and Sonnet seems to make a pretty decent one that has two ports, and can be powered by a wall adapter is purchased from a third-party like OWC. This, however, would still leave me in a situation where I would always be reliant upon electricity, detracting a lot from the portability factor. It is also limited to pretty much only storage devices, and doesn't support USB 3.0 hubs

CalDigit makes an adapter as well that seems to be well received, but it cannot be externally powered from what I can tell… so I assume it would not provide enough power to the drives?

One option I have thought of is to get a USB 3.0 y-adapter, and plug the extra "power" USB plug into the adjacent USB 2.0 port.

Would this work, and likely provide enough power? Or would the speed be throttled down to 2.0 speeds?

Another option seems to be the CalDigit Thunderbolt hub, which, while expensive… seems to provide a great deal of value. However, that would really limit my portability and effectively limit my USB 3.0 usage to home, or wherever I drag the box around with me to.

Do any of these seem like they might work, or are there any other options I am not thinking of?

It seems like the only way I will have true USB 3.0 functionality is either the CalDigit Thunderbolt hub, or parting with this particular mac (which I'd hate to do). The other thing I would possibly like to expand to is a Blackmagic Intensity module ... which come in USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt ... with the USB 3.0 a bit cheaper (and not requiring a cable...) -- I would never be able to use that with the Expresscard/34 adapters, it seems.

I apologize for this being long, but am hoping I am giving enough information for my question to receive some feedback. 🙂

Thank you!

John

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Early 2011 17"

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 2:01 AM

14 replies

Feb 26, 2014 4:43 AM in response to LowLuster

BobRz, I have indeed given it some thought ... and it is indeed a good idea. I've mostly tried to go for a USB 3.0 becuase I would be using it on more machines than just my macbook ... and I sadly have no other thunderbolt-equipped machines at my disposal (at work or otherwise). There are a couple of dual USB 3.0 / thunderbolt drives. Buffalo and G-Drive come to mind, along with the Seagate Flex series...of which I'd need to purchase two adapters in the latter case. The Buffalo drive is a 5400 rpm drive, the Seagate drive I am not sure of (but am guessing it's 5400 rpm, and I "think" the G-drive is 7,200...but it's the most expensive of the lot -- with all of them being *far* more expensive than the usb 3.0 equivalent, sadly. Your suggestion is a possible solution though. Another downside, though, would be that I wouldn't be able to have my drive hooked up via thunderbolt & also to the projector (when teaching classes). I know that sounds trivial, but I teach visual effects classes, and they tend to have quite heavy overhead with image sequences & such. Again though -- good answer. 🙂

LowLuster, I likely didn't state my intent quite well enough; I'm trying to add USB 3.0 ports via the expresscard/34 slot (or by other means), not use the existing USB 2.0 ports. I certainly do wish they were 3.0 ports though. 😉

The drive does work fine via the built-in USB 2.0 ports, actually. It's just capped at 2.0 speeds, whereas at 3.0 speeds the drive can sustain 133MB/s (under ideal circumstnaces, of course).

Feb 26, 2014 5:01 AM in response to LowLuster

You ask a fair question, and it's mainly because I'd like to be able to use the macbook & hard drive in situations where I won't have access to electricity. Those situations don't come up "all the time", but they definitely arise. Otherwise, I definitely do agree with you. 🙂

(I actually end up using a 2.5" / 3.5" dock more than anything at home)

Feb 26, 2014 5:41 AM in response to mook33

I looked at the Caldigit adapter. What makes you think it wouldn't provide enough power to the drive?

The other question is why does it need to be external? You don't say what your current setup is, but you can go up to 1.5TB with an internal drive.

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J28001/dp/B00EDIU5IW/re f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393421940&sr=8-1&keywords=1.5+tb+2.5+hard+drive

You can also replace your optical drive with a bracket that can hold a second drive. I have this setup in my machine to handle an SSD and an HD.

Feb 26, 2014 5:56 AM in response to BobRz

From what I understand it's actually not the CalDigit adapter, but rather the power limitations of the expresscard/34 slots themselves. This thread seems to cover quite a bit on it, and mimics what I'm finding:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/23559/recommendations-for-usb-3-express card-34

So with an adapter, it seems the only way to get it to work would be to have an external power supply for the card, like the Sonnet one supports.

If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me!!

Feb 26, 2014 6:00 AM in response to mook33

This is the device on the Other World Computing site:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/U3EXPRESSCD/http://eshop.macsales.com/it em/CalDigit/U3EXPRESSCD/

This is from the description there:

The CalDigit SuperSpeed Card also provides the ability to take extra power from the laptop's built-in USB port. This is ideal for bus powered portable devices, like 2.5" drives that demand more power than standard USB ports.

If I were you I'd call OWC and ask. All they sell is Mac stuff, so they'd know.

Feb 26, 2014 6:04 AM in response to BobRz

That is a great find -- I did not notice that last line (that's what I get for not 'reading to the end', huh?!)!!

I will have to give them a call tomorrow and confirm. This would be the solution I am looking for if it is indeed the case. I'll be fascinated to know how the heck it can 'borrow the power' from the built-in ports.

Feb 27, 2014 1:24 AM in response to BobRz

So I did end up calling OWC...they weren't sure, but directed me to CalDigit's support. I then called them, and they said it's a ac adapter type plug, that goes into a USB plug on the other end...which is where it gets the rest of the power. This does seem like a workable solution, as the tech support rep said that it should work with any type of storage device.

It will be limited to the Expresscard/34 slot's speed, but that's ~200 MB/s, which is more than my 7,200 rpm drive would be able to cover anyway.

The only downside is that the card has very, VERY few reviews ... 1 on OWC, and some other scattered sites. The reviews I've read have been mixed ... with some people having sporadic / improper drive ejects, driver loading issues, etc. I also have a worry that as the Mac OS evolves, their custom-written drivers may be not kept up to date, either. This happened with my esata expresscard/34 cards when Lion came around.

But, considering it does sound like my best option, I'm going to check on their return policy, and if it is reasonable, then order through them (CalDigit) or OWC; the adapter isn't listed on Amazon at all.

Thank you everyone for your help, and hopefully this will be helpful to people searching on here donw the road as well.

Mar 2, 2014 2:50 AM in response to mook33

As a (likely) final update to this thread, after talking to CalDigit one last time, this product is no longer being produced by them, and one of the only vendors left for it seems to be OWC.

The card does not come with the USB "ac adapter"-type cable to add the extra needed power for bus-powered storage devices, and is not available through them, either. The CalDigit tech support rep recommended a regular USB 3.0 y-cable.

When I inquired about driver updates, the gentleman said it will likely continue to be covered for approximately 2 more OS system updates (typically 1.5 years each, so 3 years, according to him). He said that, as I have read, that it is indeed possible that the driver is more unstable under Mavericks.

At this point it seems there is no sure-shot solution based on expresscard/34. This is a huge pitfall, as everything else with my older macbook pro is wonderful (and upgradeable).

Anyway, just wanted to give that final update, as it varies significantly from what I was hoping for in my last post. I suppose I could "try" it, but OWC has a 15% restocking fee, along with having to pay return shipping...both of which I confirmed I would have to pay with OWC. I am not willing to do that, as that comes out to almost $20 just to return the product if it doesn't work correctly. Shame, as I would like to give it a fair try, at least, but they don't seem to be willing to budge, and after getting burned on bad products from the past (from other sites with restocking fees), I am no longer willing to go along with those business practices.

Good luck, everyone. 🙂

Mar 3, 2014 6:24 PM in response to mook33

Hi Mook,

if it helps I use the Caldigit Express34 USB3 adapter without problems. I have a seagate and a WD external drive It did come with the usb2 power boost cable and won't work without it. It has given my 2010 Macbook pro some extra legs until I upgrade. Great for archiving and backup.

Cheers

Si.

Early 2011 17" MBP -- USB 3.0 portable, reliable, bus-powered option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.