Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade my Macbook Pro 13.3 hard drive without voiding the warranty?

Hi,

Recieved my new Macbook Pro 13.3 this morning and already want to upgrade! Bacially I have an old white macbook that I recently bought an SSD for. I want to use this in my new macbook pro for maximum performance.

The question is can I swap in the new SSD without voiding my warranty?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Bought 15th Feb 2014

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 2:40 AM

8 replies

Feb 26, 2014 3:00 AM in response to TheBirdfeede

According to the specs I'm seeing, that's a Retina. Two things... opening a Retina will void the warranty. Second, that drive doesn't fit that machine anyway. A Retina SSD is a circuitboard, not a traditional drive. If you aren't happy with the size of the SSD, return it and get what you want. You have 14 days to do that.

After a second look, I'm not sure if what you're describing is a Retina or not. If it's not, apparently the current policy is that upgrading the drive voids the warranty. That said, if it were me I'd do it and put the original drive back in if it needed service. I'm not saying you should, just saying I would.

Feb 26, 2014 3:21 AM in response to TheBirdfeede

You'll need to reformat it and install a new system on it. With your 2011 model, you should be able to install the drive, boot into Internet Recovery (holding down the command, option and R keys whilst booting), erase (reformat) the drive and install a new system on it. You can also make a Time Machine backup of the drive before installing it in your newer computer and restore everything from the drive (unless you actually want a 'clean' installation).

Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good luck,

Clinton

Can I upgrade my Macbook Pro 13.3 hard drive without voiding the warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.