Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A piece of advice to stop or limit spam iMessages

I've been using Apple's product for years, while more and more people are starting using Apple product, the spam iMessages have become my everyday's headache, I receive average 2 or 3 spam messages sent form spammers everyday, I almost reported and blocked spammer 's every Apple ID, but the spam iMessages still come with different Apple ID, and the content is almost the same, now I have a very long list of blocked IDs, I wonder if Apple could add some limits to the using of iMessage, like if you were going to send someone an iMessage , you need to add them as a buddy or friend something first, with the receiver's permission, you could sent the iMessage.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 4:55 AM

11 replies

Feb 26, 2014 5:25 AM in response to neffect

I have never received spam messages via iMessages. And been using iMessages since it came out on iOS 4 or 5, then on the Mac OSX when it came out. Granted it's the same AppleID. Last year I recently added an iPhone5 to the mix. That is the only time that I receive a spam, but that's a text message to the phone number. Thus, I never see them on my Mac. Besides, I received them before on my basic phone.

So I must ask, are you signed into any other service? Such as Yahoo Messenger, MSN, AOL or the such?

KOT

Feb 27, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph:

I am trying to search this forum for some specific advice I remember about installing Snow Leopard on the 2011 iMac.

When I search this forum for "2011 iMac Snow Leopard" EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS is listed in the results of this search (rendering it impossible for me to find this advice), because for some reason it seems you find it important to list your Mac inventory in the signature of your posts, instead of it just being part of your profile, where it would seem this information exclusively belongs.

Feb 27, 2014 12:23 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hi MichaelLAX,

I have been using this method for a number of years now (pre the iMac in question).

I find I cannot actually change the Profile info at the moment (I get the "We'll Be back" Post-it pic)

I have tried changing just one line and several lines but it seems not to stay changed.

Also the profile does not support the ability to list several Apple products.

Testing the use of the Advanced replay box and listing the "profile" which is out of date.

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Feb 27, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Al

HI,

In The OS X 10.9.2 update of two days ago the Block feature for iMessages arrives.

I have linked to the Combo version as a standalone (non App Store) download as it includes the info Apple has about this Update.

User uploaded file

8:42 pm Thursday; February 27, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

A piece of advice to stop or limit spam iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.