Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight stopped working on Mavericks 10.9.2 update - CPU overloading

Last Feb 25, 2014, I updated my MacBook Pro to OS X v10.9.2. Since then, my iSight Camera stopped working and my CPU is overloading.

Observing in Activity Monitor: A ReportCrash process takes 100% of CPU usage.

Originally, I've updated with Combo package.

Everything worked perfectly in 10.9.1.

I tried reinstalling 10.9.2 package, tried using both Delta and Combo packages;

I tried Repair File Permissions;

I tried Disk Repair;

...and Nothing!

Because of that ReportCrash issue, I'm unable to update my Time Machine backup and reinstall the OS, once Time Machine application doesn´t start its process, don't know why!

2007 MacBook Pro 15" (MacBookPro3,1) - Model A1226

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM

500GB Hard Drive

OS X Mavericks

PLEASE HELP. There's no way to use my Mac in this situation.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 7:48 AM

29 replies

Mar 1, 2014 11:40 AM in response to Kelvin9877

I'm cross posting this on all the related threads I can find because it seems you *can* get your camera working again:

"On a similar thread removing Air Display, AirParrot or the DisplayLink drivers (which ever you have installed) has fixed this problem for a few people. Check for these and remove them if you have them. It may help..."

Mar 1, 2014 8:49 PM in response to timw321

Thanks for this cross-post. Removing AirDisplay was the key for me. Before that, having upgraded to 10.9.2 my Mac was stuck in an endless cycle where VDCAssistant was seemingly calling ReportCrash again and again and again, taking up 98% of CPU.

2014-03-01 8:37:46.265 PM ReportCrash[5920]: Saved crash report for VDCAssistant[6159] version 4561 to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/VDCAssistant_2014-03-01-203746_MBP.crash

2014-03-01 8:37:46.812 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.cmio.VDCAssistant[6160]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap: 6

...etc.

Mar 2, 2014 7:23 AM in response to UnderEu

Thanks for all you guys, but uninstalling AirParrot, DisplayLink and similar one didn't solve my issue. I had to reinstall OS X, twice, to fix it. I realized that restoring my Time Machine backup - Full Restore - brought this issue back, so I had to reinstalled OS X again and restore my documents and data ONLY, then reinstall all my apps EXCEPT for AirParrot and other similar ones.

Now, it works as usual.

Mar 2, 2014 4:57 PM in response to UnderEu

Hi, UnderEu,

I think to uninstall "AirParrot", "DiskplayLink" or simmialr Apps in Mavericaks, not only you have to move the Apps to Trash Bin, But also you need to uninstall their Audio & Video drivers & Settings. (which is the reason case the Crash of the system)

For the case of AirParrot, you need to do following command in Terminial Line to clear out the driver and setting:

• sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/APExtFramebuffer.kext
  • sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/AirParrotDriver.kext

More Detail please click on link:

http://support.airsquirrels.com/article.php?id=8

Mar 2, 2014 11:49 PM in response to UnderEu

Sometimes it takes a while because, I think, caches have to be rebuilt. And sometimes you have to start Skype to kick off the rebuild - Facetime or Photobooth don't do it. But, TBH, the time taken to recover is sufficiently long that I'm not sure which is cause and which is effect.

I think, in mine and one other case, doing this:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

in terminal followed by a reboot did it. But whatever does it, it's worth waiting 20 minutes after a reboot and retesting before re-installing....unless you really want to do a clean install.

Mar 3, 2014 3:02 PM in response to timw321

I delete all apps mentioned above,Airdisplay, Airparrot, iDisplay, and didn't work.

Before a clean install (i really need one), but is a pain to me reinstall everything.... I thought I should try one more thing.

Than I remove VMWARE and PARALLELS. (only the app, not the virtual machine - keep the machine until appear a solution...)

Solved! Everything back to normal. iSight back to FaceTime and Skype.

Is a try to people who already try everything.

Mar 12, 2014 8:52 PM in response to UnderEu

This is driving me nuts! It appears I've got it fixed, then it happens again. I'm not sure who is at fault, but didn't have this issue until 10.9.2. I just need it to go away. I've uninstalled iDisplay and never had any other aforementioned app (airdisplay, Airparrot, etc.) installed and still experiencing the CPU overload. Whatever change was made in 10.9.2, please roll back. The heat my MBP is emitting is as hot as my head at this point.

If anyone else has suggestions, please suggest away! Thank you!

iSight stopped working on Mavericks 10.9.2 update - CPU overloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.