Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.2, all of my rules in Mail are gone!

After upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.2, all of my rules in Mail are gone.

What a disappointment.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 8:10 AM

10 replies

Feb 27, 2014 3:48 AM in response to Bryan Blumberg

There is something else going on with your Mail installation. I have a bunch of Mail rules, and after the 10.9.2 update, all of my rules remain in Mail as they were on 10.9.1 and prior.

Mail rules are kept in binary .plists within:

User Account > Library > Mail > V2 > MailData

SyncedRules.plist

UnsyncedRules.plist

MessageRules.plist

MessageRules.plist.backup

Feb 27, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Bryan Blumberg

Exact same problem here. Rules, Smart boxes and signatures GONE.

I use an exchange account with Mac Mail on a 11" MBA (2011)

When I open the signatures preferences the Exchange signatures are not showing up. I think this is my problem - something changed in the Exchange syncing.

Mail is also locking up often and I have to force quit (about once per day and usually after I get a pop-up error about not being able to connect to the server)

Mar 2, 2014 5:15 PM in response to Bryan Blumberg

I also want to chime in, and say. Yep me too.

However in my case it only removed 2 rules not all of them. I use them on a headless mini for message notifications. So it took me a day or two to figure out they were missing.

Mine were easliy recreated but, if I had more than 2 to recretae it would be problematic. The rules it inviolved were the ones running applescripts, if thats relevant ? This was on my oldest machine a Macmini 3,1. Old I know but it still chugs along nicely.

edit : typo

Mar 4, 2014 11:48 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have the same problem as others. Only I had almost 100 rules for 5 email addresses (one an Exchange address). Of the few rules that remain, oddly enough, a couple were attributed to the Exchange email, so I am not certain it is related to the Exchange changes. If anyone can help, I would be appreciative - re-entering in all the rules will be a terrible waste of precious time.

As for the .plist files, the only one currently existing for me are the SyncedRules.plist and UnsyncedRules.plist - no MessageRules.plist or MessageRules.plist.backup. Recently, I had lost all my rules when I set up a new MacMini with a TimeMachine backup. I was able to recover them with those 2 files, but as they are no longer available, that fix isn't possible.

I tried to restore the files using TimeMachine and then by digging into the backup folder and replacing the file. When I try to restore or replace the SyncedRules.plist with the file from my backup yesterday, it seems to save (I can see the correct info in the preview finder column), but as soon as I open Mail, it goes right back to the few rules that the update created - I can see it overwriting the file I just restored/replaced.

Anyone with suggestions is welcome.

Aug 5, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Guy Harding

Are you looking in your user library?

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library.

After upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.2, all of my rules in Mail are gone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.