Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For MacOSX Server how do you know if it is updatable to Maverick?

How do I know if my Mac OSX Server is early 2009 for updating to Maverick and are none that are later than this upgradable? Also, if upgradable, should I first update my I Photo currently '08; my I Work '08 3.03; My Safari 5.1.10; Address book 5.0.3 ?

Mac mini Server (Mid 2010), iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 9:48 AM

Mac Mini's early 2009 and later can go to Mavericks.

The base upgrade to Mavericks is free but you have to pay for the Mavericks Server add an.

3 replies

Feb 26, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Laurtome

If your signature is correct (Mac mini Server Mid-2010), then that Mac Mini is upgradeable to OS X Mavericks and OS X Server 3.0.3 (purchase).

You can wait to update your iPhoto and iWork apps as they should show up as updateable after you install Mavericks. As far as Safari and Address Book, those will be updated automatically as they are a part of OS X Mavericks' core apps.

Feb 26, 2014 6:53 PM in response to keg55

I recently upgraded my Late 2009 Mini Server running Snow Leopard I believe to Mavericks.

I didn't need all the server add-ons and was using it as a single unit so didn't need server networking, email, yadda,yadda, yadda.

The Mavericks install went fine BUT

The Mini was super slow, had numerous beachballs occassionally and was almost unusable.

I finally went thru the hardrives and cleaned it up a bunch, and upgraded Ram fro 2 (2) Gig Chips to 2 (4) Gigs for a total Ram Upgrade to 8 Gigs.

It helped greatly and the Mini is now a little snappier and I'm not seeing the "beachballs" much anymore, or only very briefly.

Just because Apple says you CAN update to Mavericks doesn't mean you SHOULD automatically. Do a lot of checking and double checking on what the total cost may be, including Mavericks Server and Extra Ram and then decide what other software updates you may need BEFORE taking that "free Offer" that is almost impossible to go back on, short of wiping your HD's and relaying everything back.

For MacOSX Server how do you know if it is updatable to Maverick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.