5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2014 10:15 AM by Cartoonguy
Cartoonguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a still image in my timeline.  I deleted it from the event window by using CMD and delete.  It is gone from the event window, but still remains in the timeline and plays as normal.  I expected a red "media not found" clip to appear.

The reson I am doing this is because I updated the still image and wanted to delete  the old one, bring in the new one with the same name and so have it update on the timeline by reconnecting automatically, since it is the same name.  It did not do that.  The original image remains and if I go into the media folder that FCPX is using, the old image is sitting there.  So from within FCPX, how do I properly delete media from the library, or event, so that it is really gone?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive
  • Jim Wanamaker Level 4 Level 4 (2,310 points)

I believe that when you delete a clip from an event FCP puts it in a trash folder in the Library bundle. That file is then deleted when you reopen FCP. So perhaps FCP knows the clip is still in the Library and doesn't give you an unlinked/red clip in the timeline. Why don't you import the updated clip and do a replace edit in the timeline?

• Cartoonguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well, apart from anything else, I am also wanting to be able to clean up my library by truly deleting unneeded material.  If I delete it, but really it's still there, then that doesn't make sense.  Anyway, you are right that I can replace edit, but I was hoping to be able to do it this way and know that the deleted file is truly deleted.  I have restarted FCPX and it is still there.

• Jim Wanamaker Level 4 Level 4 (2,310 points)

Did you show package contents on your Library? Was there a Trash Folder with the clip in it? Did you look in the original media folder to see if the still lmage was there? Another option that you might want to try is in the Library package delete the .flexolibrary file which FCP should rebuild when you restart. I would be sure to backup the Library before doing this as a precaution.

• Luis Sequeira1 Level 5 Level 5 (7,205 points)

Cartoonguy wrote:

I have a still image in my timeline.  I deleted it from the event window by using CMD and delete.  It is gone from the event window, but still remains in the timeline and plays as normal.  I expected a red "media not found" clip to appear.

The reson I am doing this is because I updated the still image and wanted to delete  the old one, bring in the new one with the same name and so have it update on the timeline by reconnecting automatically, since it is the same name.  It did not do that.  The original image remains and if I go into the media folder that FCPX is using, the old image is sitting there.  So from within FCPX, how do I properly delete media from the library, or event, so that it is really gone?

FCP X only deletes media if it is managed media (i.e. contained inside a library, not referenced or "symlinked") AND there is no more edits using that media. That is when you also get a dialog warning you that since the clips are no longer used, they will be moved to trash.

The automatic relinking may happen if the media is external, and you replace it at Finder level; but then again other things may get in the way. For example, if you have created optimized media, it will still be there, so you may see no change at all. (FCP X will always use optimized media, if available, and revert to original otherwise).

A better way may be to import the new version into the event, do a replace edit, and then delete the old version in FCP X.

• Cartoonguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Okay, I discovered the answer by playing a little further and it seems to concur with what you said, above.

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

FCP X only deletes media if it is managed media (i.e. contained inside a library, not referenced or "symlinked") AND there is no more edits using that media. That is when you also get a dialog warning you that since the clips are no longer used, they will be moved to trash.

FCPX seems to have a safety feature that does not delete the actual file if it happens to remain in the timeline.  I thought it would, but no.  So when you delete it from the event, if it is still in the timeline, it just reappers.  If you then delete it again and then also delete it from the timeline, then, and only then, you get this message:

screenshot_228.jpg

So that's the answer!  Thanks Luis, you were right.