10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2006 11:08 AM by Fir Na Tine
Edward Staines1 Level 1 (15 points)
In Mail my password to my POP server is constantly being rejected. When prompted, I re-type the password checking the 'Remember this password in my keychain'. But when I check for new mail again, I get the same password error.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • Mike 2 Level 2 (290 points)

I just came to the forum to ask the same question and there it was being asked at the top of the list!

I have a personal .Mac account and the IMAP email address runs fine but my troubles began when I wanted to add a POP3 account for a email address that I have been given by my club to be used from its web site. I am having the same problems as Edward.

I was bothered by the set-up 'wizard' saying that there was a problem with the incomming mail server which is the web site address ie www.xxxxx.com not mail.xxxxx.com. It also had a problem with the outgoing mail server which is with relay.pair.com. However, it now, as Edward says, refuses the password as well.

• David Gimeno Gost Level 7 (20,775 points)
    Open Keychain Access, choose Keychain First Aid from the application menu, and proceed to repair the Keychain. If that doesn't work, you may try removing the password entry from the Keychain, and let Mail create it again.

Also, open Mail Help and read the article titled Mail keeps asking for my keychain password, in case it applies to you. There is a related article titled My password is not saved that you should ignore, as the last suggestion provided there (deleting the mail account) is wrong and could cause irretrievable data loss if this is not an IMAP-type account.

If nothing works, then this is probably a connection issue. If Mail can connect to the server but cannot log into your mail account for some reason, it'll ask for your password, regardless of whether that's really the problem or not.
  • bird0810 Level 1 (0 points)
    I found your response very interesting. I experience this no less than once a month and it clears itself up in short time. However, I have been down all day and I get:
    password reject
    server reject
    and Safari even crashed.

I pay 100 bucks a year for .mail and I pay for extended Apple Customer I don't care. No help from tech support.
  • strikey Level 1 (5 points)
    This is clearly a bug in mail. Apple needs to resolve this with a patch ASAP
  • Scott Robert Level 2 (350 points)
    Have you resolved the issue? If so, how?
    I can't get my mail. Password rejected!!!
  • Edward Staines1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Scott, I deleted the offending accounts except one. The error went away eventually.
  • Scott Robert Level 2 (350 points)
    Here is a simple solution that worked for me (Took a couple of long days to figure it out).....

In mail Preferences: Account information:
    Incoming User name: enter FULL email address.

My other POP accounts only needed the user name alone without the"@company.com"
  • tancat Level 1 (15 points)
    Hi David,

Since the latest OSX update, I've had an annoying problem with my Mail programme. It keeps saying my Yahoo server has rejected my password. I re-enter it, check "Remember password on my keychain" and it works -- for a while. Then it asks for it again.

The password works fine if I use Yahoo's web page, and until recently, had no probs accessing it with Mail as well.

I've tried the Keychain first aid, showing the password in keychain, retyping the password in Mail -- everything I can think of.

Any suggestions?

iMac Mac OS X (10.4.8) Mail 2.1

iMac   Mac OS X (10.2.x)  
  • David Gimeno Gost Level 7 (20,775 points)
    Hi tancat.

Not sure what you mean by “I've tried showing the password in keychain” nor how is that supposed to be useful, but if this is not a keychain issue, then don’t keep entering the password every time, because that’s not the problem (click Cancel instead, and take the account back online afterwards).

Some ISPs refuse connection attempts if they are too frequent, for example, or limit the number of simultaneous connections that are allowed from the same IP address, or the account may have become full, or there might be a problem with the network, or there might be a problem with that particular server...

What’s the time interval chosen in Mail > Preferences > General > Check for New Mail? If it’s set to Every minute, try changing it to Every 5 minutes.

Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network, choose Network Port Configurations from the Show popup menu, and make sure that the configuration used to connect to Internet appears at the top of the list.

Also, try using a different method to connect to Internet, if possible, or connecting the computer to Internet as directly as possible, i.e. bypassing any routers that might be present, using an ethernet cable instead of wireless, etc., and see whether that makes a difference.

You may also want to check with the provider of this account in case they’ve made some changes recently that might require some settings to be modified accordingly.
  • Fir Na Tine Level 1 (0 points)
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I had this problem intermitently when I was using Comcast but now that I switched to DSL AttYahoo I keep getting asked for a password for my POP account just to have it rejected. I've read just about everything concerning this problem and I'm even more frustrated now since I see there really isn't a solution. I tried all the suggestions just as everyone else with no success. All can say is this really ***** and I think this will be the last year I subscribe to .Mac. As much as I don't want to go over to the dark side and use Entourage I'm pretty much left no other option. In my opinion this is major problem that apple should be addressing.