Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Randomly ejecting USB hard disks

There are quite a lot discussions about failing usb drives on this community. A common problem for external USB hard disks is that they will unmount (eject) randomly. This unmounting will cause corrupt data, sometimes even a corrupt disk. Some example discussions are:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2151621?answerId=24997422022#24997422022&ac_cid=tw123456#24997422

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5486533?answerId=24974730022#24974730022

Possible causes discussed here are many. The one I think is most reasonable is a bad controller chip that connects the USB port with the SATA port of the disk. A nice document about this can be found here:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6121

I'd like to know if there are certain controller models that are most error prone. If you are experiencing the problems mentioned above, please post

• the brand
  • model
  • date of purchase

of your external USB disk. If you can, please take a look into the enclosure and post the name of the controller chip, too. Having some statistic, we could avoid buying disks/enclosures causing trouble for so many users.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 12:18 PM

38 replies

Feb 27, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Lars Engel

My two older HDs no problems, but the two newer HDs are problematic (all hooked with the same cables and on the same OS).

HDs with eject issues:

- Fantom FAGF4000QU3 4TB QUAD FIREWIRE 800/400 EXT HARD DRV - FW and USB connection - was bought in Aug. 2013

- G Drive 1TB 7200RPM (Gen4) Class B - Part No: 99300-13103 001

P.S. This original post is great. Let's concentrate on hard drives in general and to avoid individual firmware updates etc. since it does not resolve the issue if you have any othere brand.

Mar 2, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Lars Engel

I have two external backups (after my one external WD drive died and ate every single copy of movies/tv shows/audiobooks/ebooks).

Seagate 2TB "GoFlex" drive - no issues with it dropping out (so far)

Western Digital 3TB "MyBook 1144" - no issues until today. Spontaneous eject. These unplanned ejections were the first sign of failure of my old drive which makes me mad since this double-set was put in place because of that. I begin to suspect WD drives.

Running a MacMini 2.3 GHz i5, 8GB DDR3, 10.8.5 OSX (did not jump to Mavericks because of WD external drive-eating issues)

Mar 12, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Lars Engel

This is my 2nd HD that is having this problem. It is an HP SimpleSave 1 Tb. Can't figure out how to open the enclosure to get the rest of the info. I bought it to replace a Seagate. Bought both at Costco. Both have their own power source. This one worked fine for the first year as my TimeMachine and has just recently started doing the self-ejection. I typically only connect it to my MBP about once a week just to save on the wear and tear.

Mar 16, 2014 3:50 PM in response to Lars Engel

Seagate Backup Plus 2TB connected via thunderbolt using Seagate Desktop Thunberbolt adapter.

Spontaneously disconnects usually when unattended, prompting warning from Mavericks saying: "please eject drive before disconnecting" or something similar.

Haven't lost data but disconnects sometimes hundreds of files of footage that are being used, which could be a hassle.

Apr 11, 2014 12:23 PM in response to Lars Engel

WD My Passport USB 3.0, 1TB external. On 2.5 GHz core 2 duo MacBook Pro running 10.9.2

Worked for a while now ejects itself as soon as Time Machine backup starts. Might have been coincident with mavericks upgrade; can't remember. Won't stay mounted to even run WD frmware update on it.

Drive data:

R/N 771737

03 May 2011

Can't see any controller chip...

May 26, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Lars Engel

iMac27 inch mid 2011 running the horrible 10.9.2 (kicking myself for moving from 10.8, which appears to have been fully functional...). The external drive that is constantly being ejected is a western digital elements 3TB usb3 drive. It has NEVER been able to complete a backup to the drive since I accepted the free downgrade to Mavericks. I'm thoroughly convinced that this is an OS issue, and that Apple is being totally inept in leaving the issue unresolved.

Randomly ejecting USB hard disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.