Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio feedback in Facetime Audio after OS X 10.9.2 Update

Hello everyone,

since the OS X 10.9.2 update I have audio feedback issues with Facetime (Audio).

When I call or get a call (from/to an iPad2 to/from a Macbook Pro 13 late 2013) there is an audio feedback on the other side, that is the caller is hearing their voice back as an echo (audio feedback). This does not happen if I have an iPad to iPad Facetime Audio conversation with the same person. Changing my audio settings (mic input volume, etc) did not solve anything. My system is a Macbook Pro 13 Retina late 2013.

Is there a way to solve this?
Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 12:09 PM

19 replies

Sep 18, 2017 3:56 PM in response to telemakos

Hi Everyone,

I have a mac mini, Logitech C920 camera and an external wired Foxl 2- sound matters speaker that plugs into the earphone port. I tried everything! The workaround was to set the input level very low in the Sound dialog box. That didn't work. I tried the audio midi setup, and I tried use the internal speakers. Nothing worked. I get perfect reception on my iPad. Skype does work perfectly everywhere. No one really has a clue about what to do. An Apple senior advisor said it was a bug in Facetime. This has been going on for a long time. Maybe one of you brilliant people can think of something that will work.

Feb 28, 2014 12:19 AM in response to telemakos

I have the same problem on my mid-2012 rMBP, however I only get it when using an external BT speaker. I can mostly correct it by turning down the volume, but it kind of defeats the purpose of an external speaker. Oddly, the feedback goes away entirely if I use the internal speakers - even at full volume.

Normally, the other way to correct feedback would be to reduce the mic gain. But, FaceTime completely disregards the mic level setting through the Sound pref pane or through Audio MIDI Setup. According to the level indicator (in FaceTime), the level is much higher than it needs to be. Even a quiet room sees about 25-40%.

Since there is zero feedback when using the internal speakers - obviously the worst case scenario since the mic and speaker are in such close proximity - the feedback is somehow related to the handling of the audio streams.

I hope someone has a workaround, as it would be nice to use FaceTime Audio on the Mac.

Feb 28, 2014 6:10 PM in response to DCJ1

However, as I mentioned, FaceTime Audio does work using the internal speakers and mic(s) perfectly. It's only if I use the external Bluetooth speaker (Bose Soundlink Mini) that results in the echo for the person I called.

Just for "fun", I'm going to try it with a wired connection (which would be the headphone port). I suspect it'll be OK, but there I go thinking again...

May 23, 2014 12:06 AM in response to telemakos

First i tried to restore it, but that did not work. Then i set it up from scratch and used a tool that allowed me to import programs etc. from time machine. I importet everything exept network settings. I don´t know if network settings has anything to do with the echo, but it seemed as an good ide for me at that time.

Try to google a bit, it was not that hard. I have never done anything like that before. To start just hold down cmd + R at start up.

Audio feedback in Facetime Audio after OS X 10.9.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.