Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard stopped working on MacBook Pro 13 inch (Mid-2012)?

Hi, recently my keyboard on my MacBook Pro stopped working.

I have a mid-2012 (purchased august 2012) MacBook Pro 13 inch.

I'm not sure if it's specs matter but here they are:

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

I have never had any problems with this computer but a couple days ago the keyboard stopped working.

The keys that are functioning properly are: command, shift, caps lock, fn, function keys, tab, enter, delete, alt/option, control, escape, space, and eject.

The letters will not work at all and the numbers type random characters. I will press the number keys to show what they are typing:

1: Z!

2: X@

3: C#

4: V$

5: B%

6: N^

7: M&

8: *<

9: (>

0: )

The F5 and F6 keys which turn up the brightness of the light behind the keyboard do not work as expected, either. Instead, when pressed they show a line with a "stop sign" like symbol and they do not turn the light on behind the keyboard. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions to this problem as soon as possible 🙂 Also, I am not doing a hard reset because I have many things on the computer which I cannot get back if lost. However, I do plan on purchasing a backup drive to save all of my files to so then a hard reset would be possible if required to fix the issue. I would prefer a solution that I can do myself, as I have experience in working with computer technology and repairing various things in computers. Thanks 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Keyboard no longer working.

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 1:30 PM

2 replies

Keyboard stopped working on MacBook Pro 13 inch (Mid-2012)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.