Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading late 2006 MacBook, possible?

I have a late 2006 MacBook on Snow Leopard (10.6.8). According to OS X Mavericks requirements, I cannot upgrade since my MacBook is not mid-2007 or later (due to the processor?). Is there a way to still upgrade or do I need to purchase a new computer (mine works perfectly)? Also, where can I see how much "available space" I have. Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2006 Model

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 1:15 PM

1. You can't upgrade to Mavericks, but can to Lion. Back up your data and order a download code for it from the online Apple Store; it doesn't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004 or earlier.

2. Select the internal drive in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File menu.

(101402)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2014 1:15 PM in response to DRJ SD

1. You can't upgrade to Mavericks, but can to Lion. Back up your data and order a download code for it from the online Apple Store; it doesn't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004 or earlier.

2. Select the internal drive in the Finder and choose Get Info from the File menu.

(101402)

Feb 26, 2014 1:16 PM in response to DRJ SD

Upgrading to Lion

If your computer does not meet the requirements to install Mavericks, it may still meet the requirements to install Lion.

You can purchase Lion at the Online Apple Store. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7,

or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Select drive's Desktop icon. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. Info is displayed in the uppermost panel.

Upgrading late 2006 MacBook, possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.